Stories about Goats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was younger I was on my friends farm and he had a few goats. One day I observed the largest male goat peeing in to his own mouth. Kind of strange and gross. He had very high flow rate so it was splashing everywhere. True story. Maybe they didn't water it enough beats me.

When I was younger I was on my friends farm and he had a few goats. One day I observed the largest male goat peeing in to his own mouth. Kind of strange and gross. He had very high flow rate so it was splashing everywhere. True story. Maybe they didn't water it enough beats me.

Hrm... kind of..

When I was a little kid, before we moved into town, we had about 40 acres out in the country. A large section of the property had an invasive vine overtaking it called "kudzu". My dad thought it would be a good idea to get a goat to clean up the vines because they were full of giant green leaves. Not only did he eradicate the kudzu problem, he also cleaned the branches off any trees, up to about 5 feet high, and ate entire trees that were under that height, basically any sapling or other underbrush.

My dad tried to give him away, but he was old and massive, and nobody wanted him, so he figured he would just let him go, to wander the countryside for the rest of his life. He actually took several weeks to finally wander off the property, but when he did, he left a clear cut path to show the exact direction he had gone up and over the ridgeline. It was like a power line cut through the forest that a utilities company would make so they can maintain their power lines & poles. One day we followed it to see if he was out there. It just kept going and going forever. We eventually had to turn around and go home.

I always wondered how far he had gone and how long he had lived.
I haven't thought about him in probably 5 years until I saw this thread. Thanks.

When I was a little kid, before we moved into town, we had about 40 acres out in the country. A large section of the property had an invasive vine overtaking it called "kudzu". My dad thought it would be a good idea to get a goat to clean up the vines because they were full of giant green leaves. Not only did he eradicate the kudzu problem, he also cleaned the branches off any trees, up to about 5 feet high, and ate entire trees that were under that height, basically any sapling or other underbrush.

My dad tried to give him away, but he was old and massive, and nobody wanted him, so he figured he would just let him go, to wander the countryside for the rest of his life. He actually took several weeks to finally wander off the property, but when he did, he left a clear cut path to show the exact direction he had gone up and over the ridgeline. It was like a power line cut through the forest that a utilities company would make so they can maintain their power lines & poles. One day we followed it to see if he was out there. It just kept going and going forever. We eventually had to turn around and go home.

I haven't thought about him in probably 5 years until I saw this thread. Thanks.

See if it comes up on google earth? What ever damage that was done may have grown back, but you never now what that looks like from above. :goat:

I asked for a ferret when I was a kid; my parents got me a goat. Each day I had to go out and bottle feed it, which was fine I guess. Then one day they put a rubber band around his.. uh.. {censor}nugget hops{censor} and the poor guy made the most terrifying noise I've ever heard. A couple days later one of our dogs was found running around with Billy's {censor}nugget hops{censor} hanging out of its mouth.

Every day since, Billy was a veritable monster. He would head butt our dogs, chase my little brother and he even ate a corner of our barn. He ate about 3 sq. ft. of 100 year old barn wood. I didn't care, he was still my first pet so he was the awesomest.

Fast forward a year, we had some weird man visit our farm. My grandmother met him at some Polish club in the city. A few days later as I was laying in bed one night, I heard a bunch of noise outside and ran out to find a trailer hauling away Billy. He was to be the main course at some celebration.

I didn't even get to say goodbye.

smiley-angry020.gif

Being as my wife is half polish, I have a fair number of stories that start with "so-and-so at the polish club".

I can't say I personally have a lot of goat stories, but I have a lot friends who do. I'd love to get goats, but I just don't want to deal with the hassles for the small bit of property I have (1 acre). I am planning on getting chickens next spring though. Hoping they'll help with the stink bugs a bit as well as take care of some of the compostables/spent grain.

Eggs + meat good to. Going to split the eggs with my neighbor, so we may get 5 or 6 birds.

Maybe in a few years if we get a larger property.

Male goats pee on their face to attract the females. Goat musk.

Nasty, but I guess whatever the ladies like.

A number of southern states are looking at goats as the solution to kudzu.

It is the reason why I don't think I'll get goats unless I can get a much bigger property. I have enough issues worrying about deer and birds stripping my berry bushes and fruit trees, I don't need to worry about goats doing the same.

See if it comes up on google earth? What ever damage that was done may have grown back, but you never now what that looks like from above. :goat:

Well, that was the mid 80s, so I'd say the landscape looks completely different at this point.

Had a friend who rented a old farmhouse with an old barn. The entire floor was filled with about 2-3 feet of corn that was long eaten down to cobs by the time they moved there, but they cleaned out the milking area and tied a female goat in there. She had a kid, which lived for a short time before a massive flea infestation killed it.

Then the nanny jumped over a short wall, strangling herself with her lead.

That's all my experience with goats.

Well, that was the mid 80s, so I'd say the landscape looks completely different at this point.

I guess I missed that part. :eek: It got me wondering and I revisited google earth to check out the timeline feature. It goes back to 1997 I think; however, compared to today's resolution it looks like impressionist art.

Promote the :goat:

I live on a dead end road in the middle of nowhere and have had people stop by to ask about the goats. Two years ago, it was a run down pick-up with two Hispanics asking how much I wanted for one of my (breeding) bucks. I think they choked a bit when I said that they weren't for sale and were worth about $1000 each. Told them I'd have plenty of baby bucks in the spring, but have not seen them at all.

I live on a dead end road in the middle of nowhere and have had people stop by to ask about the goats. Two years ago, it was a run down pick-up with two Hispanics asking how much I wanted for one of my (breeding) bucks. I think they choked a bit when I said that they weren't for sale and were worth about $1000 each. Told them I'd have plenty of baby bucks in the spring, but have not seen them at all.

They were probably looking for a BBQ. :D

Yeah, but why is he letting that Asian kid sit on him and what's with the green drawers?

Years ago, I drove for a trucking company as a local city driver. We would talk to dispatch by two-way radio.

One driver, ( Roy ) would call dispatch, the dispatcher would say "go ahead" and then he would say "Don't call me a goat-head".

I always got a chuckle out of that.

A number of southern states are looking at goats as the solution to kudzu.

It is the reason why I don't think I'll get goats unless I can get a much bigger property. I have enough issues worrying about deer and birds stripping my berry bushes and fruit trees, I don't need to worry about goats doing the same.

Chattanooga, TN used to rent goats to clear kudzu off some hillsides over tunnels so the kudzu wouldn't block the tunnel entrances/exits :goat:

Last edited:
I don't think I've told this story before... my dad used to have a male pigmy goat. It LOVED Ritz cracker sandwiches with peanut butter in the middle. :)
:goat:

Last edited:
When I first saw the :goat: icon I thought I was missing some innuendo. But after reading these 12 pages and wiping away tears after laughing at some of the stories I'm glad it was added. Unfortunately I'm a city boy and never had a goat to have a story to share. Maybe one day...

Back