Store Small amounts of pellet hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StankAle

Reaction score
Hey all.
with the hop shortage upon us I wanted to ask how all of you are storing leftover hops. All the hops I have are sitting in my freezer in vacuum sealed 1 oz. oxygen free bags. the question I have is how can I safely store the leftover hops after I open the bags?
For example:
I used 1/2 oz. each of Warrior, Simcoe, and Amarillo hops for a recipe. I still have the other 1/2 oz. still in the original oxygen free bags. I placed them in a ziploc bag and tossed them in the fridge. The last thing I want is for the hops to ruin.
Any suggestions? A 1/2 oz. of hops are sacred these days.

StankAle said:
...The last thing I want is for the hops to ruin.
Any suggestions???

Yes...brew again...immediately. :D

I use sandwich baggies for the small quantities and then throw the sandwich baggies inside a freezer bag. If you can dip the sandwich bag into a sink of water with the seal open just a bit, you'll push out 98% of the air and get a good "vacuum" seal.

i use the expensive ziplock freezer bags (they hold air the best in my experience)

i just zip it up to the center, so there's a small opening, then suck the air out by mouth. it works just as good as the water trick, they seal super tight (just not something i would suggest for, say, raw chicken ;))

Back