(Store-bought) Bottle --> Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayrot

Reaction score
Search isn't very helpful on this one. A million people asking about how to fill bottles from your keg, but my question is actually the other way around.

First things first: I'm actually talking about commercial beer in bottles here, not homebrew. I imagine this wouldn't work with homebrew since it's more...alive.

A 5-gal keg from the store of my favorite local IPA is around $80-$100. Yikes. However, I can go to Costco and get a case of 24 of the same IPA for $22.

What happens if I buy 2 cases of bottles and then fill my (sanitized) empty corny keg and put it in the keezer. Anyone ever done this before?

It's nearly impossible to prevent oxidation when pouring bottles into a keg. You could probably minimize it by purging the keg and then keeping a steady flow of CO2 going into the keg for the entire process.

I have the same problem with Sierra Nevada kegs. Bottles are cheaper than a 1/6 keg. I can't figure that out either.

I don't think your bottle idea will work. You'll end up pouring oxidized beer out of your taps.

What would seem to make more sense is to buy the half barrel of craft beer (that's where it starts to get economical) and transfer it to corny kegs under pressure via a jumper.
Find 2 buddies and you each get a corny of SNPA plus a few beers while you fill.

Back