Store Beer in the Hot Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthompson85

Reaction score
According to what I have read, storing beer in a hot gargare (once finished) does not impact the beer. Wanted to see what anyone else had to say based on personal experience. I am about to do it because I simply dont have space to store it cold, but looking forward to brewing again! Dont want to hold up the hobby! Thanks!

Heat degrades flavors/aromas and provides a more welcoming environment for microbial growth. You may or may not notice an effect but it certainly won’t help.

Heat is going to definitely impact the flavor of your beer. You don't have any floor space inside your home? Room temp would be fine. Doesn't have to be refrigerated.

If we can agree that beer is "alive" then we can also agree that heat speeds the aging process. Depending on the style, some will hold up to heat/ageing better than others. Container size will also affect ageing - larger formats age slower. But that doesn't mean that you should leave a keg in your hot garage as long-term storage. I'm not sure if our (hbt) forum discusses in depth,but wine forums in general should have lots of info regarding relationships temp, ageing, bottle size ect.

Short answer: a couple weeks won't be detrimental for most styles, but not an effective long term solution. If its your only option, I would suggest to brew smaller batches more frequently to ensure a quick turnaround.

It really depends on the temp range and the temp of the beer as well as the style.

If the temperature is in the 20-30 range I highly doubt it will greatly effect if at all. Above that though and I can see there being the possibility of aging risks.

I am assuming we are talking about bottle conditions bottles though?

Homebrew still has yeast in it unless you filtered it out, and that yeast will decompose over time. Decomposition happens more quickly as temp increases.

i just fermented a belgian wit at 90f and it turned out fine. lol not suggested but you know... its all about what the yeast fart out at diff temps

Get a beer from someplace like World Market that stores their beer in a hot warehouse for a long time and find the same beer at a good bottle shop. You will taste a world of difference.

I think Russian River goes a little over-board requiring cold shipment and storage for every step of the way but everyone has to draw their own lines on what is tolerable.

I keep as much beer as I can in the beer fridge. Hoppy beers get priority, then light beers. Everything else is stored in a closet in the house which runs 75-83 in the summer and 65-70 in the winter.

Back