Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I have 3 batches of brew in primary fermenters. I placed them in a room that stays a solid 65 degrees. The room has the most consistent temp, but does have day light and a bit of sunlight early in the morning. I have kept all 3 carboys wrapped in blankets to block out any unnecessary light. Will they be okay or should I move them?

Sounds fine to me, blocking the sun is always good, just make sure you don't get temp spikes when sun is direct into the room / hitting the shielded fermenters.

I checked it this morning and the temp stayed at 64-65. It is an early sun and only for a short amount of time. Thanks for the help.

I put a white towel over my carboys in my garage, and no issues. I wish I had a steady temp in mine like you do, mine's been fluctuating between 55 and 65 all week.

Ambient temp is one thing, but the temperature in the fermenter is another.

If I ferment my ales at a room temp of 65 the temp in the fermenter would go up to about 70 degrees or more, especially if I blanketed them. I keep the fermenter in a water bath (55 degrees +/-) and try to keep the beer in it at between 60 and 65.

After about 10 days when fermentation has mostly stopped I let the temp in the fermenter go up to room temp (66-68) to brighten for another week or two.

Depends on what you are brewing but I avoid fermenting at 70 or near it.

OMO

bosco

Initial fermentation is when you want to control the ferment temps. When that's done,the airlock slows or stops. Then temps are less critical,& be allowed to rise slightly to induce the yeasties to finish the job. So you got there,bosco...:rockin:

I have a thermometer strip on the side of my carboys to track the beer temp. Also, I moved them away from any source of sunlight

Back