Quantcast

storage?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mk010101

Reaction score
Ok, some of you guys can gulp down your beer pretty quick. I am not one, but I am very curious how you store all your beer, especially when making a few batches? Do you guys get another fridge for storage? Do most people have basements they can keep them in?!?

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Mk010101 said:
Ok, some of you guys can gulp down your beer pretty quick. I am not one, but I am very curious how you store all your beer, especially when making a few batches? Do you guys get another fridge for storage? Do most people have basements they can keep them in?!?
I just store my surplus bottles in cardboard boxes in a closet. When I need to re-stock the fridge, I pull a few out and chill them.

docbee

Reaction score
I keep mine in the closet that I ferment in. Once bottled I put them in boxes and keep them in the coolest part of the closet. This time of year usually hanging around 65-69 degrees.

desiderata

Reaction score
Walker-san said:
I just store my surplus bottles in cardboard boxes in a closet. When I need to re-stock the fridge, I pull a few out and chill them.
I do the exactly the same. The boxes are on top of several towels and a trash bag, and covered with lids or other boxes, all in case of bottle bombs. I ferment in a separate closet.
I would consider my garage, but it is downstairs (too lazy), plus the temperature is not controlled and fluctuates too much.

OP
Mk010101

Mk010101

Reaction score
When you put them in the fridge to shill them, do you have to wait 2 weeks? I have read somewhere that it should chill for two weeks after carbonation. Is this true?

Torchiest

Reaction score
I've been drinking mine anywhere from half an hour to one week after I chill them, and it hasn't seemed to make much difference in carbonation or flavor. In fact, the one I had yesterday that was just barely chilled was the best of my first batch so far.

loopmd

Reaction score
Mk010101 said:
When you put them in the fridge to shill them, do you have to wait 2 weeks? I have read somewhere that it should chill for two weeks after carbonation. Is this true?

Not sure where you read this. If they have "bottle conditioned" for 2 weeks outside the fridge, you should be good to go. I restock mine like the others have posted. Sometimes I even forget to restock the fridge:( and even stick a couple in the freezer for an hour to "speed cool" them. Or drink them at room temp! (sounds crazy, but not as bad as you think)

loop

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I have a fridge full and another half full of bottles and kegs. I know I need a third fridge...:D I've been a good brewer all year long...maybe Santa (SWMBO) will grant my wish...she's been good so far...:D

At the moment I have about 12 cases and 5 minikegs conditioning at room temp. These will take weeks to condition, some a month or longer.

As soon as I determine they're ready they go into the fridge. Luckily, it's winter...well, almost, but cold any way, so I just ship them out to the garage where it's in the 40-50s most of the time.

The big problem is in the springtime when some days are warm and some cool. Then I have to plan which ones to drink first, etc.
Decisions, decisions...:D :drunk:

Latest posts