Storage of yeast culture for next brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malty

Reaction score
It is commonly aggreed by most that collection of yeast for storage and use in a later batch of brew is done from the trub of the primary fermenter. Wyeast recommends storage in a jar of sterile water in the fridge. White Labs recommends storing the yeast under beer. Does anyone have exprience at comparing the two methods?

This post got me thinking, and my question is along the same lines, could I take the yeast that settles at the bottom of my beer/wort after it is done fermenting from my prim/secondary and fill a few bottles with the beer/yeast mixture (as there is usualy some beer left at the bottom along with the trub.

Up to this point I have been using dried yeast because it is cheaper and seems to work fine for me but id be willing investing the cash into liquid if I could get a few batches out of it.

Thanks

sheephrdr said:
could I take the yeast that settles at the bottom of my beer/wort after it is done fermenting from my prim/secondary and fill a few bottles with the beer/yeast mixture (as there is usualy some beer left at the bottom along with the trub.
That's pretty much what this guy does in his illustrated primer.

What I actually did this past weekend was make a 1.5 liter started, then divided that into 3 equal parts, one for the primary once I was done brewing, then the other two I put into 2 air tight flip top jars and put in the fridge for the next brew session. Then once I make another starter with one of the ones in the fridge, I will divide that again as well. I am under the impression this will work just fine. I will say I had one heck of a fermentation with 1/3 of 1.5 liters from the starter I made.....had a nice eruption with my airlock on the primary, no mess, but almost a mess......:D

Back