Storage of grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojacques

Reaction score
Hi there.

I know, another discussion on Grain Storage. Apologies, I did not find the info I was looking for in past discussions:

Apart from 2-row, I do not buy in bulk. But I do buy all my grains in advance and mill them as I go along.
So every time I go to my LHBS or order from my favorite Online store, I buy a couple of extra bags of grains that I know are commonly used (it lets me brew whenever I want and saves a lot of $$ in shipping or mileage). Result: I now have multiple types of grains (23 types, ranging from 1 to 6 pounds of each) which are all stored in individual sealed bags, in a bigger storage container. It’s starting to be a treasure hunt when I try to find a particular type of grain in that bigger storage container. I need a better storage system.

Considering I brew once every 3 weeks and will probably end up using all these grains within a year, I want to use unsealed, 1-2gallons containers and store all these containers on a shelf system (I will label each box for ease). Something like this:
spin_prod_234771701

Also, where should I store these?
- In my garage (Where I brew. Heated to 45F in winter, a bit humid in there even if a dehumidifier is running 24/7. Gets hotter in summer, around 77F, lower humidity)
- In my basement (Steady medium humidity, 66F year-long)

So basically, am I fine with using unsealed containers, and where should I store them?

I would say go with the basement. I live in the south so, no basements but I keep all my grains in an inside closet. Bulk grain in buckets and other stuff in a plastic tote.

^^ Those are amazing, but can't find them for under 12$ each. That's a total of almost 300$ worth of containers :O

For the past 2 years I have kept mine in containers similar to what you were thinking... no real gasket sealing ability but tight enough so air movement and or critters have not been an issue. Cheap wally-world ones, they will hold 10 lbs no problem. I have a larger one for my 50 lb base malt.

And I would opt for storing in your basement conditions. High humidity is not ideal. I store in basically an indirectly heated area of our house, an unused mother-in-law kitchen..It sees some temperature fluxes with the seasons, but the humidity stays pretty constant. Haveing a slab on grade floor to that whole addition really helps with temp swings and such, your basement will even be better....wish I had one.

IMG_1119.jpg

For my bulk grains I get the frosting buckets from the bakery in the local grocery store and place gamma lids on them (from HD or Lowes). The stickers say 40lbs on buckets (I think 3.5-4 gallons in size) from the weight of the frosting, will hold about 15 pounds of grains. For my smaller specialty grains I reuse food containers (washed and dried of course) and they have worked well for me over the last year. I keep these all in my basement here in upstate NY. They stay out of any sunlight, it stays dry and the humidity is low.

Here are some of the containers I reuse for smaller amounts. They range from protein shake powders, almonds, pretzels and animal crackers. Sorry for such large images.

I hope this helps!

9a57fc3357248d5e9aa0b0edd94fd9d0.500

imageService

imageService

Where I get the lock and lock type boxes the big ones will hold 5# of grain and cost $3.50. I have added them as I go so didn't have to drop a bunch of money all at once. I also have buckets with Gamma Lids. It takes 2 for a sack of grain.

Personally, I have gone with the food-safe bucket from Lowe's and with a twist top lid and a dolly from Harbor Freight.

Buckets are food safe, lids are air tight and I can stack the buckets on the dolly - allowing me to store my grain in a compact area and wheel it to where I want it when I brew

bucket.PNG

bucket lid.PNG

dolly.PNG

I would not store grain in unsealed containers if you can help it.
Look for Lock and Lock containers. I get them at a regional chain, Ocean State Job lot in various sizes.
20150811_161218_zpsw2pd1n8u.jpg

I like these for the smaller amounts of grain, etc. Do you rememeber what sizes those are? They 3.6 cups or 2.5 cups? It's hard to get idea of scale and what would be the best sizes to get.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why can't you use those containers and line them with plastic bags you can seal with a twist-tie? You get the best of both worlds--sealed but low cost.

I store my grain in the basement, large amounts in 5-gallon buckets with Gamma-seal lids, smaller amounts in sealed plastic tupperware-like containers. Same ambient conditions.

Lots of great ideas. I can see some people store in sealed containers, and some are not...

I thought about the 5gallons pails, but since I have only a few pounds of each, it would useless to use such big containers.

I like these for the smaller amounts of grain, etc. Do you rememeber what sizes those are? They 3.6 cups or 2.5 cups? It's hard to get idea of scale and what would be the best sizes to get.

The biggest say 4.2 quarts, the smallest say 30 ounces on the bottom.

The big ones hold a little over 5 pounds, and the smallest hold about 2 pounds.

Lots of great ideas. I can see some people store in sealed containers, and some are not...

I thought about the 5gallons pails, but since I have only a few pounds of each, it would useless to use such big containers.

An idea that combines methods. One bucket with a Gamma Lid holding ziplock bags of grain.

Can always put grain in zip-loc bags inside the bucket. The bucket is durable and keeps critters out.

I like the lock and lock boxes because I can see what I have easily. I also want the seal because my basement gets pretty humid in the summer. I have grains that are still very fresh that are several years old. I don't think you could store for that long in an unsealed container.

Can always put grain in zip-loc bags inside the bucket. The bucket is durable and keeps critters out.

I agree this is easy and cheap, but would not be much different than my current method, and the treasure hunt would be the same every time I need to find a type of grain

Back