Storage of excess grain/hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has probably been discussed already, but I couldn't find it online. What's the best way to store leftover ingredients? I'm planning some one-to-two-gallon AG brewing recipes and I know my homebrew supply store probably doesn't sell such small amounts of grain and hops. Also, what kind of shelf life should I expect from these stored ingredients?

Cheers!
-Jimmy P
:mug:

are you getting the grains crushed? if so, put them in the freezer or fridge and they should last a few months at least. if not crushing right away, you can just store them in tupperware or lidded 5-gal buckets (the Home Depot ones work great) in a relatively cool area of the home. hops in the freezer, vacuum sealed if possible.

I also suggest freezer storage for crushed grains, I store my uncrushed grains in vacuum bags, and store them in rubbermaid bins in the brew closet, the hops get vacuumed and stored in the freezer. mostly I just like using my food saver! (I use space bags to store my bulk grain, and the food saver bags for specialty grains)

Back