Storage after adding priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrSteve

Reaction score
Hi,

I just made my first batch. Based on an American Amber Ale, but with Fuggles, Phonixe and London III. Supposed to get close to my many favourite English beers.

Anyway...fermented and sat in the ale pale for 2 weeks total (life events prevented a transfer to a secondary). Drained it all into a secondary today and added priming sugar to get ready for bottling. 3/4 of the way through I realise some of my reclaimed bottles are from screw top beers (don't ask, they weren't mine). So I now have a gallon or so in a demijohn with cling film (saran wrap) wrapped around the neck.

Easy question...is the stuff in the demijohn best used for cooking or can I salvage it? If so, how many days do I get to try and save it?

Follow up...the pre-bottled beer didn't taste bad at all (5% alcohol and a taste similar to DeGroen's Marzen)...but I am a tad concerned about the potential for oxidation. Clearly nothing has happened *yet*, at least not noticeable...but is it likely to have an enhanced effect in the bottle?

Thanks,

Steve

let it ferment out. All it'll do is add a little ABV. The amount of priming suger shouldn't effect the quality. Let it sit for a week or two, then bottle.

BTW: It sounds like you added the sugar then racked to a carboy/demijohn. If that's the case, what you should do is boil the priming sugar in a cup of water, cool, and add to the bottling bucket, rack the beer onto it and stir gently, then bottle.

EDIT: Just re-read that only part of the batch got racked. Keep it seperated, and if all seems good in a coulpe weeks, rack them both into the bottling bucket.

Welcome Steve
The beer should be fine where it's at. Let the remaining beer sit for a week or two to ferment out the priming sugar. That should give you time to get some more bottles. When you are ready, add more sugar (1 oz per gallon) and bottle those babies up.

Many thanks.

I did boil up the primer, siphoned everything into the glass demijohn with the primer, mixed and then started bottling. For now the last gallon is sitting in glass, huge head space covered but not air locked.

Last q as a follow up...I had some awesome Umbel Magna (Nethergate) which had corriander (cilantro) in it. Any idea at what point the corriander was added? I could always email the owner and brew master, but I think that might be asking a bit much of him!

Cheers

Welcome Steve
The beer should be fine where it's at. Let the remaining beer sit for a week or two to ferment out the priming sugar. That should give you time to get some more bottles. When you are ready, add more sugar (1 oz per gallon) and bottle those babies up.

Many thanks. Can I use regular sucrose, or should I get some more dextrose?

Cheers.

Steve

I'd use dextrose, if you can get it. (I have no idea about coriander, sorry!)
Cheers,

As Luck would have it, Aldrich sells 250 g of Dextrose for about $18 (>99.5 pure). Mind you they do charge a bit for their shipping.

If no typo, that's outrageous ($18/250g = ~$35/lb)

Sucrose is fine for priming. Add a bit of acid (cream of tartar or lemon juice) when boiling it up to sanitize and you'll convert it to invert sugar, which makes it prime a bit faster.

If no typo, that's outrageous ($18/250g = ~$35/lb)

Sucrose is fine for priming. Add a bit of acid (cream of tartar or lemon juice) when boiling it up to sanitize and you'll convert it to invert sugar, which makes it prime a bit faster.

You'd think I'd know that reaction being a chemist!

Back