Stopping Strawberry Mead after 5 Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baishman7

Reaction score
Complete newbie here with a question regarding this strawberry mead recipe:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Strawberry-Mead/

Under Step 9, the author says this:

"But you have an interesting choice to make. Traditional Mead is basically a white wine. But if you taste this within the first couple of days that it's fermenting, it is absolutely delicious, and nothing like a wine! The yeast has been going strong enough to give it a great carbonation, but hasn't eat much of the sugar yet so it's still very sweet. If you'd like to keep it like this, sample it every day until it's about where you like it. But be aware that it's only this good for really up to 5 days. It's like a guy growing his hair out- it can be really good short, or really good long, but the in-between phase is usually terrible! If you try this when it's at, say 8% or 9% ABV, it's going to be strange. If you want to stop it after only 3-5 days, put it in your refrigerator. This won't actually kill the yeast, but they'll go dormant and stop future fermentation as long as it's cold. You'd have to take a hydrometer reading to be sure of the alcohol content at this stage, but it's usually around the same as a beer."

I was interested in trying to make something like this, especially since its only about 5-7 days from beginning to finish! My question, though, is how exactly does one prepare this for drinking? The author says that you can throw it in the fridge after 3-5 days, but its not clear to me whether this is in a secondary or in the primary. Also, would the usage of sorbate, campden tablets, or Super Kleer help at this point? It is my understanding that you cannot drink the mead until it has cleared...is this an exception since you are stopping it so early?

Thanks for all the help.

It is my understanding that you cannot drink the mead until it has cleared...

If you are referring to the safety of drinking it, you can drink a mead (or any brew I believe) whenever you want. You can drink it 24 hours after you pitched your yeast. Now whether or not you'll enjoy it...that's another issue :p

You can drink your mead whenever you want to, but if its full of yeast it'll be gross.

Cold crashing your mead in the fridge will help to pull the yeast out of suspension and make them dormant -- if you're interested in aging after the cold crash you will need to stabilize with sulfites and sorbate, but feel free to keep it in the fridge and enjoy somewhat quickly.

If you are referring to the safety of drinking it, you can drink a mead (or any brew I believe) whenever you want. You can drink it 24 hours after you pitched your yeast. Now whether or not you'll enjoy it...that's another issue :p

Agreed, you can drink anything whenever you want. It may taste terrible and give you horrible gas though!

Back