Stopping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuzlo

Reaction score
I have 3 beer kits on the go right now, 2 Lagers that I will put in a commercial Keg and one Ale that will go in Corny's. The Ales have been fermenting for 14 days, and there is still a little residual fermentation happening but it is real slow, the specific gravity is around 1010. Temps are about 15 deg Celcius for the ale. I know with Wines you can stop fermentation depending upon what you want for dryness. The question is can I stop fermentation now and get this settling so I can Keg it, if so how?

Heat is not really an option, they are all in glass secondaries and I have no means of heating 5 gallons of liquid

Don't do anything. Although you may be getting bubbles from CO2 release it doesn't mean it is going to go lower than it should. It's not like wine, it will not go too low.

Once fermentation has naturally run its course and you have reached your FG, you should have no problem kegging it. 14 days will still yield a green beer, though, so more time in the primary or additional conditioning time in the keg will certainly not hurt.

A. Wait two more weeks & you can keg without having to add a clearing agent.
B. No problem if you clear it and keg. Even if there is a little fermentation still going on, that won't harm kegged beer.

Back