Stopping Fermemtation Early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf76

Reaction score
Are there any potential problems with cold crashing a beer after 7 days in the primary? I'm in a bit of a hurry. I transferred to the secondary after 7 days and the FG was 1.012+. OG was 1.060 so it appears to be finished. I plan on kegging it then putting some on bottles for a camping trip next weekend.
Thanks in advance!

The bottles might blow up, especially if the beer gets above 40 degrees. But otherwise it should be ok. I wouldn't do it, as bottle bombs seem to irritate people. :D

Yeast tend to "clean up" some off flavors after they are done eating sugars, so even though the SG isn't dropping, the yeast are still active. The preferred method is to wait for the yeast to finish and start dropping, then cold crash to help it clear faster and more completely... If you want the beer to finish at higher FG, mash at higher temp, choose a lower attenuating yeast, and/or adjust the recipe to include more of the grains to don't fully ferment.

Well, having been a hurried bottling guy myself, if your happy with your cold crash and at the end of it your drop out isn't too great, keg and bottle without priming. There should be enough fermentation sugars for carb-ing your bottles and keg. Here's the thing, if you didn't have a long primary or at least a 2 day secondary and your fg is close, you should be ok however I the big unknown is what did you make? I did almost spot on what your talking about with an oatmeal stout, worked out great, but did the same thing with a suasion and well.... it was tragic, what did you make?

Pumpkin Ale. I can give it another 2-3 days in the secondary. If I keg on wendsday I should be able to carb it by Friday afternoon and bottle before we leave Sat morning.
I almost bought a growler just for this. May have to head to the LHBS this week and pick one up.
Thanks guys!

Back