Stoppers pushing out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Dude

Reaction score
New guy question
I am having problems getting the stopper to seat and stay put.
I am using starsan and when I push the stopper in it will immedietly push itself back up. everything is too slick. One batch that I had trouble with pushed the stopper out over night.
I have been leaving everything soaking untill needed. Maybe I should let them dry?
What should I do?

Thanks

Yes. Definitely let the stopper and the neck of the bottle dry before sticking the stopper in.

A little tip: Rub some vodka around the stopper and the bottle. Vodka sanitizes and also evaporates very quickly, leaving a clean, dry, slightly tacky surface on the stopper.

Yes. Definitely let the stopper and the neck of the bottle dry before sticking the stopper in.

A little tip: Rub some vodka around the stopper and the bottle. Vodka sanitizes and also evaporates very quickly, leaving a clean, dry, slightly tacky surface on the stopper.

I like to rub about 100ml of it on my tongue with a it of vermouth and an olive
when I am having trouble with stoppers. repeat if necessary.. the problem will go away...

or shake off the stopper well and flame the neck with a wand lighter or torch to dry it and viola, sticky.

Those damn erlenmeier flasks will trick you, though. I bought two at the same time and they take different size stoppers, which is annoying, since I seem to have the super power of being able to pick the wrong stopper for the flask invariably.

I use a non-slippery sanitizer (iodophor) for most things, partially for this reason.

All dems idears are okay, but if you really wanna stop the problem for good without having to go through any rigmarole or risking contamination while the bung dries, then just get yourself a universal stopper (or ten). They won't pop out.

All dems idears are okay, but if you really wanna stop the problem for good without having to go through any rigmarole or risking contamination while the bung dries, then just get yourself a universal stopper (or ten). They won't pop out.
or just use a little duct tape!!:D

Ok just saw the link. they slip out of carboys when sanitized and wet. use foil duct tape, it sticks to wet surfaces because its moldable and sticky.

or just use a little duct tape!!:D

Ok just saw the link. they slip out of carboys when sanitized and wet. use foil duct tape, it sticks to wet surfaces because its moldable and sticky.
While that sounds like a logical contribution it really isn't.

If the kreusen rises out of the (duct taped in place) airlock and it clogs with kreusen...it has the potential to blow the sides out of the carboy with built up pressure...not a pretty picture.

Even my universal bungs slide up...I dry the bung and the neck of the carboy because no brew is going to touch them anyway.;)

I prefer martinis.

If it's got vodka, it's just a mixed drink. ;)

Well, the Vodka Martini is the poor cousin to the Gin Martini.. but we were talking Vodka, so it seemed appropriate.

I can't remember where I picked up this reference to the "Elemental Martini", but the recipe goes like this.

Matrini Glass
Ice
Place the glass next to a bottle of vermouth for 10 seconds
Drink

Repeat as neccesary

Or something like that...

Just use iodophor and forget all this slippery stuff!:)

And/Or... what I do is to have an SS electric kettle full of pre-boiled water handy to rinse things after sanitizing. No infections... yet.

While that sounds like a logical contribution it really isn't.

If the kreusen rises out of the (duct taped in place) airlock and it clogs with kreusen...it has the potential to blow the sides out of the carboy with built up pressure...not a pretty picture.

Even my universal bungs slide up...I dry the bung and the neck of the carboy because no brew is going to touch them anyway.;)

:eek: bump... very good point. better to have a spoiled brew than a dangerous situation. I'm glad now I have only used tape on mead secondaries.

You're right. The universals slip also.

What about the orange caps?

If it's slipping, then you're not using it correctly. You just push it in slightly, to the point where it's not shoved in there tight, but still gets the job done.

Yes, that's what she said.

Once the starsan dries, you'll maintain a seal. The taper on the uni's isn't really meant to be that tight.

My 6.5 gallon carboys have a weird lip that looks like it'd accept some kind of screw-cap. None of my carboy caps fit them...too small.

Back