stopper stuck in Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeropolis

Reaction score
I made a newb mistake (well, the SWMBO did =p). I just got a better bottle for the first time and ran to Lowe's to get a stopper that would fit in it since my glass carboy ones wouldn't. Well, the bung is now stuck in the neck. I hadn't even drilled a hole in it yet. How the hell do I get this thing out?

It's a PITA. You might be able to drill a hole in it and then fish in something like a thick coat hanger to pull it out.

Honestly, I've used a butter knife on the edges and ended up scratching the neck slightly when it happend to me. Since the beer doesn't come up that high when fermenting, the scratches caused no issues, but you might not want to scratch up your BB.

Since it sounds like the stopper is too small to actually use, I'm with McKBrew - drill a hole in it (or maybe use a sharp corkscrew) and pull it out. Better to save the bottle than the stopper.

It was full of fresh pressed cider so I wouldn't have wanted to drill a hole in it. I used a butter knife and worked it out. Got a slight scratch on the top of the opening but shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the replies.

Do a search on HBT. There is a method using a plastic bag to accomplish this. It is pretty amazing and looks really easy. Can't remember the exact search or I would have done it for you.

I screwed up last night and pushed a stopper into a one gallon jug. The bag method worked great and it made the wife think I actually had some intelligence!

Back