Stopper for 1 gallon fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snyder

Reaction score
I've got a 1 gallon jug of Hawaiian punch that I'm going to use for my fermenter. The opening is 1 3/8". Should I buy a drilled stopper, and if so, what number? Or would it be better to drill a hole in the cap instead? I read about people having some issues with drilling it themselves and wasn't sure which way to go. Thanks in advance.

You could really use just about anything for the stopper - as long as its non reactive with your brew and fairly airtight. For instance if the bottle had a plastic threaded cap you could use that. Just drill a hole and use some teflon tape to help seat the airlock.

hmprreynolds.jpg

"Just a gallon? What are you fermenting? (Please don't tell me Hawaiian Punch! )"

I'm gonna give Yooper's ancient mead recipe a try. I guess I'll try to drill a hole in it and try the teflon tape trick. Thanks!

btw - that's a pretty freaky looking cat. Wouldn't want to come across him in a dark alley!!

Back