Stopped Fermenting After 24 Hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmind

Reaction score
I've done a few simple brews with some 1 gallon ciders and a Mr. Beer. I wanted to graduate to a 5 gallon batch and decided to start this past Saturday with a friend of mine who's been brewing for about 5 years now.

We brewed a Brewer's Best Milk Stout and everything seemed to go ok when siphoning into the fermenter bucket. We tightly closed the lid and put the airlock in and let it stay in a room at about 66 degrees.

The first 24 hours seemed ok and I could see the airlock bubbling. About a few hours later I checked on it and stopped seeing any movement in the airlock. I've checked every day since then and still nothing. Anyone have any suggestions? Did I already screw it up?

At one point the bottle was gently moved about 5 feet. Could this small movement have caused fermentation to halt?

Thanks a lot!

How many days, hours was active fermentation ? it might be done.

The Hydrometer is your friend, use it. check the gravity, its the only way to know if your beer fermented or not.

Cheers :mug:

Appreciate the responses so far.

Starting gravity was 1.046. I haven't done another gravity reading as I read I should wait at least 10 days even if I don't see any more fermentation to reduce oxidation. Is that right? Should I just take a reading now?

It's been fermenting since Saturday, January 18. I pitched the yeast at about 2PM.

Just surprising if it can ferment heavily only for 1 day but maybe that happens?

Thanks guys!

airlock bubbling means nothing. Some brews bubble like crazy, some not at all. The airlock is not a fermentation gauge, just lets off excess pressure.

is this one done yet?

It did not top fermenting, just stopped bubbling.. Relax and let it go and guess what? You will have beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting and good point. I'll relax for another week or so and take another reading.

Thanks!

Starting gravity was 1.046. I haven't done another gravity reading as I read I should wait at least 10 days even if I don't see any more fermentation to reduce oxidation. Is that right? Should I just take a reading now?

It's been fermenting since Saturday, January 18. I pitched the yeast at about 2PM.

Just surprising if it can ferment heavily only for 1 day but maybe that happens?

Thanks guys!

Yes it can ferment out in 1 day.

No a air-lock bubbling dose not mean its fermenting, it could be off gassing.

No a air-lock not bubbling dose not mean its not fermenting.

Yes leave it alone for at least 10 days or longer before taking a hydro sample, i go 2 to 3 weeks depending on recipe.

Yes keep asking questions and learning about brewing.

Cheers and welcome to brewing ! :mug:

Yes it can ferment out in 1 day.

No a air-lock bubbling dose not mean its fermenting, it could be off gassing.

No a air-lock not bubbling dose not mean its not fermenting.

Yes leave it alone for at least 10 days or longer before taking a hydro sample, i go 2 to 3 weeks depending on recipe.

Yes keep asking questions and learning about brewing.

Cheers and welcome to brewing ! :mug:
Thanks!! :mug:

Your welcome, just a fyi if you already didn't know, that milk stout is going to need quite a bit more age/conditioning time than a pale or or wheat or IPA or any yellow or amber beer that you have made before.

After you bottle it, I would wait 3 minimum to 6 months before even trying one.

Also another mistake people make is chilling a bottle for 1 hour and popping the top, doing this=flat beer, it takes the co2 in the head space 2 to 3 days in the fridge to go into the beer and carb it properly.

Thanks guys!

Nope, let it sit 10 days, 7 at the least. Don't worry, the airlock is a little ***** that doesn't tell you anything really. The only thing an airlock will tell you that may be halfway useful is that it is about to blow if it's filled with krausen. ;)

It is still fermenting. Trust the fact that you made up the wort, pitched the yeast, controlled the temp and the yeast is doing it's job. If you can sit with that for at least 10 days, 7 if you really cannot stand it, then do that.

Congrats on your first bigger brew! I love milk stouts so much.

Your welcome, just a fyi if you already didn't know, that milk stout is going to need quite a bit more age/conditioning time than a pale or or wheat or IPA or any yellow or amber beer that you have made before.

After you bottle it, I would wait 3 minimum to 6 months before even trying one.

Also another mistake people make is chilling a bottle for 1 hour and popping the top, doing this=flat beer, it takes the co2 in the head space 2 to 3 days in the fridge to go into the beer and carb it properly.

Did NOT know that. Thanks a lot! When you say "3 minimum" do you mean "3 months" minimum or "3 weeks" minimum?

Thanks, Hello, for your post too. Really appreciating this forum already.

Nope, let it sit 10 days, 7 at the least. Don't worry, the airlock is a little ***** that doesn't tell you anything really. The only thing an airlock will tell you that may be halfway useful is that it is about to blow if it's filled with krausen. ;)

It is still fermenting. Trust the fact that you made up the wort, pitched the yeast, controlled the temp and the yeast is doing it's job. If you can sit with that for at least 10 days, 7 if you really cannot stand it, then do that.

Congrats on your first bigger brew! I love milk stouts so much.

Great reply, lmao at the airlock comment.

Did NOT know that. Thanks a lot! When you say "3 minimum" do you mean "3 months" minimum or "3 weeks" minimum?

Thanks, Hello, for your post too. Really appreciating this forum already.

3 months minimum, sorry, thought I put that in.

Also I would only try 1 if you have to try it at 3 months, then if its killing you and you have to try it again the next month, only 1 again.

When you think it taste good, I guarantee if you age it another month or 2 longer it will be way better.

Cheers and you are very welcome ! :mug:

When the rapid bubbling slows or stops,only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep sown to FG. When it gets to a stable FG,then give it another 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Tried our first bottle over the weekend. Let friends taste test it too. It was a hit! Thanks to all for helping me on my first brew. Now time to let it age a few more weeks/months.

Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

1393274644343.jpg

Latest posts

Back