Stooopid me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
Hello all. It's been a long time since I've posted here and it's been almost two years since the last time I brewed. I decided to get back into it. I brewed up an extract amber ale batch last night just to get my feet wet again.i pitched a healthy amount of yeast, i ran the yeast in a starter on my home-made stir plate for a couple of days. Within an hour or two of pitching the yeast, the air lock was bubbling away. I don't know if it was my rusty brewing skills, or the many beers I consumed while brewing, but I forgot to get a gravity reading after the boil was done. I measured the gravity today after about 12 hours of steady fermentation. The gravity was 1.048. I'm trying to get a rough estimate of what the gravity would have been post-boil. Anyone got a good ball park estimate of what my OG would have been? Here's the ingredients:

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU

8.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 88.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.1 %
1.00 oz Galena [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [7.50%] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Thanks in advance
Russ

I forget to take gravity readings all the time. Actually most of the time i just don't care too. I just love the taste of my beers, as long as they taste good i could care less what the ABV is.

When you get a stalled ferment and think it's done, bottle and end up with exploding bottles... you might start checking now and then. ;)

lol, i never had bottle bombs. i bottled my first 3 batches, then went to kegging. i just moved and lost my spare fridge so ill be bottling this batch. my keg fridge became my regular fridge. it looks hilarious in my kitchen, its a 1944 GE.

Back