Stone IPA at PF Changs in Kansas City

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickass

Reaction score
I went up to KC with my wife, mom and sis for the weekend. We went to PF Changs for dinner one night and I was shocked and excited to see Stone IPA on the beer list. My wife, a hop head, and I both ordered one. When the waiter brought the beers out he poured them into a glass from a bottle that looked nothing like the few stone logos I’ve seen. I asked to see the bottle where I read the following: Michelob Stone Mill Pale Ale…WTF!?!? When I brought the issue to his attention he didn’t know the difference and went to talk with the manager. Yes, it was too good to be true, no stone IPA at PF Changs. Their beer list had a typo of the most heart wrenching irony.

I've given up on PF Chang's having anything better than Sam Adams. (I am glad they do always at least have Sam Adams though.)

So I ended up emailing Stone just to let them know Michelob is being served as Stone and unknowing consumers are drinking a rather watered down beer thinking that's what Stone has to offer.

here was my email:
Michelob served as Stone IPA at restaurant in Kansas City

Hey guys I just thought I’d give you a heads up to something I encountered last weekend.

I went to PF Changs, a higher end Chinese bistro type restaurant, in Kansas City, Mo. last weekend and on the beer list was Stone IPA. Now, I live in Kansas, unfortunately you don’t distribute here, but I travel often and have had a few of your brews so I have an idea of what your unique bottles look like. Any way, my wife and I both ordered the Stone IPA. When the waiter brought the beers out and poured them into a pilsner glass I though, hmmm…that does not look like a stone bottle. I asked to see the bottle where I read: Michelob Stone Mill Pale Ale. What a mislabeling of the most heart wrenching irony. I questioned the waiter stating this was not a Stone IPA. He went into the back, talked to a manager and came back to tell us they don’t serve Stone IPA. I’m not sure if it was an honest mislabeling of their beer list but I thought you guys might like to know this was going on because I’d venture to say the beer list remains uncorrected.

On a side note, please please please extend your distribution to Wichita, KS.

Beer fanatic, hophead, and homebrewer;
-JP

I had a similar issue a few years back with some Kansas City bistro supposedly serving Delerium Tremens.

The waiter brought out what appeared to be a domestic lager. I was rather bummed :(

Back