Stone Brewery Clone Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pm5k00

Reaction score
There is a nine page scan of the December 2008 issue of BYO with 6 recipes for Stone Clones. I choose to upload these to another site to reduce the bandwidth to Stones site and hits from here.
ALL Pics HERE.

And the two most will care about...

pg9.jpg

pg10.jpg

These are old recipes, that list magnum as the main bittering hop, Stone uses Columbus now.

For those who still want to see them on Stone's site copy this:
http://xxx.stonebrew.com/news/081201/ and change xxx to www.

Stone also personally hosts their Vertical Epic Recipes from 2.2.2 to 11.11.11 here:
http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/index.php.htm

your welcome, i thought this thread would get a few more replies... glad you found it helpfull.

scottland said:
Very nice gesture. The reason people aren't more excited is because there have been scans of those recipes on HBT since 2008: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/6-stone-clone-recipes-dec-08s-byo-mag-89903/ (4th or 5th page).

Not trying to shoot you down or anything, but don't be bitter over the perceived value of something.

I recall coming across that particular thread, I saw the scans but they were poor quality. I'm far from bitter, just trying to help out fellow brewers.

I didn't see any mention of Arrogant Bastard. I have some clone recipes but none that come from Stone.
Were they ever posted?

No they are very secretive about it, there is an extensive thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-stone-arrogant-bastard-176191/ about it, and here is a recipe i have made following this thread, it came out very very close to Arrogant Bastard.

Stone Arrogant Bastard
American Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 12.625
Total Hops (oz): 7.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.072 (°P): 17.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.26 %
Colour (SRM): 20.2 (EBC): 39.8
Bitterness (IBU): 96.1 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 86
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
11.125 lb American 2-Row (88.12%)
1.500 lb Crystal 135-165L (British) (11.88%)

Hop Bill
----------------
2.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.4 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 66°F with WLP002 - English Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I didn't see any mention of Arrogant Bastard. I have some clone recipes but none that come from Stone.
Were they ever posted?

Not that I am aware. Stone has consistently said they would not publish the recipe, though there are some recipes out there that claim to be very close. A brewing buddy of mine is going to try one this weekend so if it turns out okay in a few months I will ask him to post back here.:cool:

If you have bought the Stone book, it has recipes for several of these beers and they are slightly different and contain more details in some cases. I have been using the book recipes as the hops are different and I have been pleased with my results so far...can't hurt to try both recipes and see which is closer to the original.

One tip: avoid the WLP002 where recommended as it makes the beer a little too sweet. The WLP007 got me closer to the real thing than the WLP002 as I tried both.

No they are very secretive about it, there is an extensive thread here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-stone-arrogant-bastard-176191/ about it, and here is a recipe i have made following this thread, it came out very very close to Arrogant Bastard.

Stone Arrogant Bastard
American Brown Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 12.625
Total Hops (oz): 7.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.072 (°P): 17.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.26 %
Colour (SRM): 20.2 (EBC): 39.8
Bitterness (IBU): 96.1 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 86
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
11.125 lb American 2-Row (88.12%)
1.500 lb Crystal 135-165L (British) (11.88%)

Hop Bill
----------------
2.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort) (0.4 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.2 oz/Gal)
2.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 75 Minutes.
Fermented at 66°F with WLP002 - English Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Have you tried this with WLP007 instead? It would be interesting to ferment with each and compare.

Have you tried this with WLP007 instead? It would be interesting to ferment with each and compare.

Not on the AB recipe, I did try it on the pale ale and ruination and it didn't have the right flavor from the yeast, i think 002 is very close, but the key is to make a HUGE starter so you can get good attenuation.

Replying to meep this on my radar for upcoming brews. That smoked porter sounds freakin awesome! Anyone on here ever tried it?

Replying to meep this on my radar for upcoming brews. That smoked porter sounds freakin awesome! Anyone on here ever tried it?

Yep and it is indeed good and I think it tastes identical to the one I had in Escondido last month at their brew pub. A buddy of mine did the recipe with the vanilla bean addition, which I was loath to do, and frankly his beer turned out better than mine without the vanilla!:rockin: Highly recommend that recipe if you like smoked porters!!

I'm doing a mini batch (2.5 gallons) of Stone IPA from a recipe from my local beer store guru today.
5.5 lbs 2-row
3/4 lb cara hell
1/2 each of Columbus, chinook, centennial and 1 oz dry hop. It has a 60, 45, 2-30 and 2-10 minute hop additions besides the dry hop. Using US-05 yeast.
Somewhat similar to what I've seen floating around the net but there are so many recipes for the Stone IPA but he gave me a pretty good Racer 5 clone so I figured I'd try his Stone as well.

I'm doing a mini batch (2.5 gallons) of Stone IPA from a recipe from my local beer store guru today.
5.5 lbs 2-row
3/4 lb cara hell
1/2 each of Columbus, chinook, centennial and 1 oz dry hop. It has a 60, 45, 2-30 and 2-10 minute hop additions besides the dry hop. Using US-05 yeast.
Somewhat similar to what I've seen floating around the net but there are so many recipes for the Stone IPA but he gave me a pretty good Racer 5 clone so I figured I'd try his Stone as well.

Care to post the R5 recipe also?

First some info.....while I really enjoyed this, I've been a R5 drinker for more than a decade so I feel I know it well. This had the nose dead on but not quite balanced enough. I never did tweak it either so I don't want anyone to think this is dead on. It's only 'nearby' but still an enjoyable beer. I never did convert to AG but didn't want to mash for a small batch. I think the IBU's were much lower than R5 too and I know the ABV is as well. Kind of explains where it's just nearby. I will say this info is in QBrew and Brewtarget gives this same recipe a higher IBU and slightly higher ABV. My actual ABV was 5.7%. Can't figure out how all the tools give different results.

I did a 2 gallon test of this and never did try it again but it's on my beer-bucket list to do again.

Recipe Racer 5 clone Style Generic Ale
Brewer Batch 2.13 gal
Extract

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Gravity 1.056 OG Estimated FG 1.014 FG
Recipe Bitterness 45 IBU Alcohol by Volume 5.4%
Recipe Color 4° SRM Alcohol by Weight 4.2%

Ingredients
Quantity Grain Type Use
3.00 lb Briess LME - Pilsen Light Extract Extract
0.25 lb CaraPils - [Body, Head] Grain Steeped
0.25 lb Crystal 10L - [Body, Caramel, Head, Sweet] Grain Steeped
0.12 lb Two-row (US) Grain Steeped
Quantity Hop Type Time
0.55 oz Amarillo Pellet 30 minutes
0.35 oz Cascade Pellet 30 minutes
0.20 oz Cascade Pellet 10 minutes
0.45 oz Centennial Pellet 10 minutes
Quantity Misc Notes
1.00 unit Safale S-05 Dry Ale Yeast Yeast American: Temperature Range: 59°-75° F 11.5 GRAMS

Just to get this thread back on track as it's a Stone Brewery Clone thread...

Here's two Arrogant Bastard Clones from our own forums. The first is an "Oaked Arrogant Bastard" thread and the second a "Can you brew it - Arrogant Bastard" thread. I figure the first thread minus the oak would be a decent starting point and the second a many page hit or miss. This should complete the Stone portfolio without the special brews or collaborations they release (wish I could find clones for "More Brown than Black" Ale they did with the Alchemist and "Highway 78" Scotch Ale they did with other local Port & Green Flash Breweries. I picked up a few bottles of those at the brewery and they were mighty tasty. So without further ado..

Oaked Arrogant Bastard - just don't oak it =)

Can You Brew It - Arrogant Bastard

~SB

Anyone have a recipe for the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale? This is a favorite of mine and would love to give it a go.

Here's a little secret about BYO clones. When BYO actually talks to the brewery, the clones are usually close. You'll notice I didn't say exact. For some bloody reason, BYO can't figure out how to scale hop additions. I have quite literally no idea why. Secondly, they get the malts about half right. For example. Briess doesn't make Crystal 15L. Stone does in fact use Crystal 15L, but it's from Great Western.

So for example, looking at the Ruination Clone. The malt bill looks correct, replace the word 'Briess' with 'Great Weastern'. The hops are close. Ruination is a 2.5lb/bbl beer. Their recipe is 2.15lb/bbl. We need 8oz in a 6 gallon batch, or 6.6oz in a 5 gallon batch. They now use CTZ rather than Magnum, but that was a more recent change. I would do 1.6oz CTZ @ 90, 1.6oz Centennial @30, 1.6oz Cetennial @ 0, 3.2oz Cetennial Dry Hopped. You'll notice that isn't too far off from what they have

So now looking at that Stone IPA clone. Again, use Great Weastern C15 malt. Again, Stone uses CTZ to bitter these days (that isn't BYO's fault, it was a recent change). They use around 1-1.2lbs/bbl of hops for Stone IPA, which isn't very much (3.2-3.8oz in 6gal). Their recipe in that case actually looks dead on. Substitute the 90 bittering hops for 1oz CTZ @ 90 min, and you're there.

The BYO clones are usually close. If you take them with a grain of salt, and do a little research, you can usually get them exact. Oh, and use WLP007 rather than 002.

Pesi said:
Anyone have a recipe for the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale? This is a favorite of mine and would love to give it a go.

I think I saw that recipe in Stone's new book...I do know their El Camino [Un]Real Black Ale is in there.

Back