Stone APA in BYO, December 08

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't find my copy of BYO for December 08. I'm thinking I took it out to the cottage to read last deer season and left it there. I want to brew the Stone APA recipe that I copied from it. I put the recipe in Beersmith at some point, so I think it's correct. Can anyone who can find theirs check and see if this is about right? It seems like too much crystal 60L, but I know it's a pretty sweet APA.

10 pounds 2-row
1.5 pounds crystal 60L
6 ounces crystal 80L

.66 oz magmum 14% 90 minutes
1 ounce Ahtanum 6% 15 minutes

Thanks so much! I have every other issue, going back three or four years- but not that one. And not the one with Brewpastor's sweet brewing set up. I must have taken them off and put them someplace "special" and now can't find them. Getting old sucks!

Here it is:

10 lbs. 2-row
1.5 lbs. crystal 60L
6.0 oz. crystal 75L
9.25 AAU Magnum hops, 90 min.
1.0 oz. Ahtanum hops, 15 min.

I really need to make this!

-Steve

Thanks for double checking! I'll make it tomorrow. I must have put crystal 80L in Beersmith, seeing that you have crystal 75L there.

I'm not much for sweet APAs, but Bob is, and Stone APA is his favorite at the moment.

I think I'll use S-04 and ferment cool.

Just racked this to the secondary. Mashed at 155, used S-04. I couldn't find either hop, so I used Galena for bittering and Cascade as a FWH addition instead of the 15 min. The color is spot on, and it tastes pretty damn good so far. Once the Galena mellows some, I think it will be pretty close.

Looks tasty, what is the intended OG?

EDIT: was this a BPAHACIWTSDSDAARP?

That would be a Brag Post About Having A Cottage In Which To Spend Deer Season Disguised As A Recipe Post. :p

Well, darn it! My strike water is heating and my grain is crushed, and I seem to not have any magnum hops! So, I can sub Newport (never used) or Columbus. Both are close the the correct AAUs, so it'd be an easy swap.

I thought I would use the Columbus, but I've never used Newport and thought it might be worth a shot.

Any opinions?

It's fantastic! I just kegged it on Sunday, and served a couple up today as a matter of fact. I had one guy just stop over for a beer a while ago (that seems to happen to me fairly often) and claimed it "terrific" even though he had no idea what Stone APA was but he was an APA fan.

It's darker than I'd like, but otherwise really a nice version!

It's fantastic! I just kegged it on Sunday, and served a couple up today as a matter of fact. I had one guy just stop over for a beer a while ago (that seems to happen to me fairly often) and claimed it "terrific" even though he had no idea what Stone APA was but he was an APA fan.

It's darker than I'd like, but otherwise really a nice version!

You know, I noticed the same thing with the Stone IPA. Did a side by side and it was definately darker. Just did 10 gallons again last weekend. We shall see.

Back