Stock Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
How many people use 15 gallon stock pot for 5 gallon batches?

I mostly do 5 gallon but would occasionally like to be able to do 10 gallons.

I feel that a 15 gallon pot is way too much for a 5 gallon boil. The surface heat to water ratio would cause a lot more evaporation.

What are you thoughts, I'm in the market for a pot.

In between the 10 and 15 gallons

I use a keggle for 5.5 gallon batches. You're correct in that causes excessive evaporation, I found that out the hard way. I typically boil ~7.15 gallons for 60 min boils

I use a 15 gallon aluminum stock pot for 5 gallon batches, well six gallon batches. The diameter of the pot is about 16" if I can remember correctly. I tend to boil off about 2 gallons on a hour long boil. I enjoy this cause I think it helps my efficiency. So my batches i gather 8 gallons of wort boil down to 6, siphon out 5.5 to the fermenter. So yes, the largest surface area will increase evaporation but is that really a problem? Also, boil off is a constant, so if you wanted to do say an 11 gallon batch on my system you would boil 13 gallons to start, leaving 2 gallons headspace, which could be pretty tight, but definetly doable.

Side story - My third all grain brew I thought I would start to heat my roughly 2 gallons of first runnings outside in the 15 gallon pot while i finished sparging inside. Gather my second runnings in a bucket and went outside to add it to the boil kettle and I was JUST IN TIME! Those two gallons almost boiled over my 15 gallon pot. I was shocked. So keep an eye on that pot before you have hot break.

Back