Stock Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the description listed on the web page doesn't match what the picture shows, I don't see anything wrong with it. The description says it has bakelite handles while the pic shows metal handles. I wonder if the pic is the same as what you would be buying. It's an aluminum pot, but that's not a deal breaker. It only has a 5 gallon capacity and that's probably filled to the brim, so keep that in mind. It would be better to buy a larger kettle with more freeboard. You will likely be buying a bigger kettle soon just like most of us have done at some point. I'd get at least a 10 gallon kettle if I were in your shoes, but I'm not, so go for it if you think it will do the job.

I use the 32 quart version of this for my brewing. Very thin walls as you might imagine, but it works well. I have two 120V elements in the bottom of mine since it's electric as well as a dump valve.

EDIT: Also, even if you don't think you'll do full boils, I suggest getting the 32 quart version so you could. It's pretty much the same price, and in stock at my local target. Mine was a Vasconia too, but I think the Imusa is the exact same pot.

http://www.target.com/IMUSA-32-qt-Aluminum-Tamale-Steamer/dp/B001ARYXNW/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

In my case yes. I put up to 7 gallons starting volume and don't have problems. I'm using electric and just keep a nice steady rolling boil though. I've boiled over with gas on a turkey frier when I used to brew outside.

Back