stock pot options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
So, i have a question for those out there. I have been authorized to purchase a pot for my brewing to go with the 210k btu burner i received for xmas.

Now, i was planning on getting the economy stainless pot from austin home brew but while shopping at a local restaurant supply place today i noticed they had a similar sized heavy duty aluminum pot.

I was wondering if anyone had used the economy pots from AHBS and if it was quality. Second, would it be better to get a heavy duty (~4mm thick walled) aluminum pot or a lesser grade stainless pot.

I personally don't have a problem with aluminum, so i don't want it to be a pro/con of AL pots thread. I just want

I can't speak for the AHS pot specifically, but I've used a few "economy" or "budget" stainless pots, and I prefer my nice alu turkey fryer pot to all of them.

Get the sturdiest pot you can, if you like the one from the local store get it.

There is no downside to aluminum pots if they're made well, I love mine.

I was also considering the aluminum route. Try listening to the "Brew Strong" metals episode. Great reference for the proper cleaners etc if you're going to use aluminum.

I'm not really shure why so many people buy these large expensive cook pots when there are sanke kegs around that are easley converted. They are S/S and you would have to run them over with a truck to destroy them. Check out my pics I got these 3 kegs for $15.00ea

any sources for these kegs? I looked at kegs.com but only found ones that were $100 more expensive than the pots i'm looking at. I did a search but nothing jumped out as being what i'd need.

Check local scrap yards, and watch Craigslist if there's one in your area. Also, I don't know about your area, but here at least some places have time limits on when you can return kegs and get your deposit back so sometimes liquor stores will sell the non-returnable ones (expiring deposits make NO sense to me, BTW)

Austin Homebrew sells those economy pots on ebay - one sold on the 26th in the $45 range. I bought a 35 qt heavy duty ss pot from the seller listed below for $60 shipped and I'm happy with it. There wasn't one bad review from anyone who bought the same one. If you can get by with a 8.75 gallon pot check it out...

eBay Seller: kitchenoutlet: stock pot, Home Garden items on eBay.com

Check local scrap yards, and watch Craigslist if there's one in your area. Also, I don't know about your area, but here at least some places have time limits on when you can return kegs and get your deposit back so sometimes liquor stores will sell the non-returnable ones (expiring deposits make NO sense to me, BTW)

Here in this part of the world I haven't had much luck finding one. I check Craigslist daily.

I called a local scrap yard and they told me that they wont even buy them for scrap anymore because the "brewery" sent them a S & D Letter claiming that all kegs with their name stamped on them were to be considered stolen property.

My brother, who used to work for a local AB distributor, said that he heard that they are starting to add some type of GPS chip to them. I doubt it. But who knows?

I was thinking of this item from ebay after looking around for a bit. It's bigger than i need (for now) and a bit more expensive, but i was thinking i'd have to spend in the ~$70-$80 range anyway. It should do.

I'd certainly wouldn't rule out a keggle, but i can't find any kegs to convert easily and i don't know if i'd have the skill, tools and time to convert one anyway.

I got a 60 quart aluminum pot from a local restaurant supply store. I couldn't be happier with it. I checked craigslist daily for months, and then finally said screw the keg, and bought the pot.

I have read some threads that there are people that have switched from keggles to pots due to various reasons. However there are also tons of people very happy with them.

As fa\or the AHS pot mentioned, I have no experience. I do vote for getting the biggest feasible pot. I went for a 60 qt so I could move up to 10 gallon batches if I want.

Check out these prices at restaurant supply house for aluminum pots. I saw this link from someone else on another thread.

Cookware:Stock Pots

I am getting ready to buy a pot myself. Does anyone see any problems with the 15 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches? I plan to start with 5 gallon batches but i see myself eventually doing 10 gallons. I also wonder if the medium weight pot is enough or if it is worth spending the extra money on the heavier, 6mm pot.

* Do not buy from the above site! They do not have internet security and do not reply to emails!

craigs list. put up an ad asking for empty kegs for say 20 bucks. your mileage may vary

Back