Stock pot not big enough...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budchx

Reaction score
Hi,my MLT is ready for my first all grain batch but I do not have a stock pot big enough for a full boil!what can I do?!
Split my wort into 2 pot?if yes should I split my hops addition?half in each pot?
Any other ideas?

Reduce the size of your batch to something that will fit in the pot.

Everything in a recipe scales, so reduce every ingredient by 20% and do a 4 gallon batch, reduce by 50% and do 2.5 gallons, etc.

If you want to do this you need to be able to collect all the runnings into one vessel to ensure that everything mixes well and each batch is equal when split. Assuming you split the total volume exactly you can then split all the ingredients equally as if brewing two batches.

If you are going from extract partial boils to AG full boils and are not already doing so, go get a turkey fryer set up so you can brew outdoors. You'll get a big enough pot and burner as well. If you were planning on doing full boils on a range-good luck, most people cannot get that volume to boil indoors on a stove/range.

Watch your water volumes if you do split pots. Your boil off will be double. If you have software, use half batch number times two.

You can get a heavy duty 40 qt aluminum pot for around $50 shipped. These are so much nicer than the turkey fryer pots. There are some other considerations going full boil though. You'll need a way to boil the larger volume (stove top probably isn't enough) and way to chill the volume in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck.

Back