"Stirstarter" stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flars

Reaction score
I need a new stir plate. Finding compatible parts and shipping costs makes the Stirstarter look like a good deal, rather than trying to build one. Any comments from Stirstarter owners on the stir plates performance.

I love mine.

I've used it probably ~40-50 times in the last ~5 years.

Just make sure you have the right flask or it'll throw the bar (many of the flasks don't have a flat bottom).

I built one for pretty cheap using the below parts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080G0BK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012FFPW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I'n reality you could use any box or container you like. I went this route cause I liked that it was USB powered and comes with a built in speed dial.

Photo%20Sep%2026%2C%209%2040%2059%20AM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Purchased mine this past summer. I've used it on two brews and couldn't be happier. Fermentation has kicked off within 6-12 hours and the results have been fantastic.

Also, it's guaranteed for life so can't go wrong with that!

:mug:

I need a new stir plate. Finding compatible parts and shipping costs makes the Stirstarter look like a good deal, rather than trying to build one. Any comments from Stirstarter owners on the stir plates performance.

But you shouldn't need to special order any parts to build one... Unless you live out in the sticks. I think I spent $5-7 in parts for mine, salvaged the rest.

The Stirstarter is nice. I've been able to use a 1 gallon glass jug with a slightly curved bottom without a problem.

Count me as another happy customer. Used it for dozens of starters and it works great. Just get it going, don't overdo the speed, and leave it going. Never had a slipped bar outside of overdoing the speed when dialing it in the first time or two. Once it's stirring it's stirring, no need to have it running on hyper speed. So long as you have a vortex you're good.

Rev.

I built mine, but $44 looks like a good deal to me. The price for the 2000ml flask is pretty good too.

I have 2 and they have worked well. I've used them up to 3.5 liters. I do wish the magnets were a bit stronger (or maybe they need to be closer to the case) so it would be just a bit easier to get started.

I've used the Stir Starter twice, both 2 liter starters. Disappointed with the performance. Stir bar spins for about the first 8 hours, then the yeast stops it. After that need to restart it every 4 to 6 hours. The Stir Starter may be good for 1 liter starters, but otherwise a disappointment.

I'm going to try to modify it with stronger magnets, spaced further apart to use a longer stir bar.

I've had one for about 5 or 6 months. It works fine so far, but I've only used it for 1 liter starters. They have a larger version for more $.

I'm not trying to be a hater when I say this because the Stir Starter does what it's supposed to do and I'm happy with mine, but it definitely has a DIY project feel to it. I would probably buy a used lab stir plate from Ebay before I paid much more than $40 for one. I've heard that the Stir Starter company provides excellent customer service though, so that counts for something.

Edit: By the way, I run mine on full blast with 1 liter starters without any trouble.

I have done well over 150 starters with mine. still working great. Highly recommended.

I've used the Stir Starter twice, both 2 liter starters. Disappointed with the performance. Stir bar spins for about the first 8 hours, then the yeast stops it. After that need to restart it every 4 to 6 hours. The Stir Starter may be good for 1 liter starters, but otherwise a disappointment.

If you are throwing the stir bar you are turning it up too high. You just need a small dimple on the surface not a huge whirlpool. I have never had a problem with a thrown stir bar doing 2 liter starters.

I've have two of the smaller versions and I use it for 2l starters without problem - 20-30 starters. I later bought the larger version that I have used for a dozen or so 4l starters. I love the larger stir starter and would recommend it to everyone - it easily moves a 4l stir starter, as well as 1l and 2l starters with ease.

I just bought a custom stir plate from an HBT member. He's making some cool stuff, worth a look. The price is really nice. Not affiliated, just plugging his product since I'm super satisfied. Mines running a starter right now.

This is his Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BrewForKeeps

StirStarter has a no-questions- return policy. that is a nice bonus. i made a crazy big starter that blew kruesen all over the stir plate that i didnt see until morning. stir plate was toast... the speed regulator fried so i contacted Don (dan?) and he's going to send a new unit. i can live with that!

I just used my new StirStarter for the first time, this is a great product and simple to use. If anyone is looking for a stir plate this is a great choice.

Use mine all the time for 2 to 3 L starters ad it works great. Just got a 5000ml flask. Going to go big for a dopplebock to see of it works.

I don't use nearly as much liquid yeast as I used to, but every year I do a 4 L starter of WLP 775 for my cider/cyser and my Stirstarter plate that my cousin got me for Christmas a number of years ago does the job just fine.

Back