stirring thingy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I have no idea what these are called but I saw them once. It's basically a long stick with folding wing like things attached to it so you can put it into your carboy. The wings fold up to fit through the neck and then fall down so you can thoroughly stir the contents of the carboy. The top is small enough to attach a drill to and the whole thing is plastic.

I looked around austinhomebrew and midwest but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what it's called and/or where I could find one?

I've not seen one. What would you plan on using it for? I could see it used for stirring for aeration, but there are better alternatives. Same for cleaning your carboy.

not exactly as I had imagined, but right on.

I'm not using it for beer... we need a better solution to stir the honey into our mead than shaking the hell out of the carboy.

also damn they're expensive for how simple they are.... might have to just make one.

They are available at morewine.com and many other places. BYO did a DIY artile on how to make these a little while ago. They are simple and do work very well for mixing/aerating meads.

Might also be labeled as a wine degasser.

Good luck!

They are available at morewine.com and many other places. BYO did a DIY artile on how to make these a little while ago. They are simple and do work very well for mixing/aerating meads.

Might also be labeled as a wine degasser.

Good luck!

Just when I thought I'd had an original idea. I've never read that article but I did make one out of one of the 24" plastic mash paddles. It was very easy and much cheaper than buying one.

http://img89.imageshack.us/i/1232010147.jpg/

This is the end all laid out. I used some teflon tape to hold the nylon nut and bolt together. If you can find a stainless locknut you could use that instead.

An easy project that works great as an aerator in my pail and pretty good in the carboy too.

Sure would. I just built mine because I already had the plastic paddle and was unhappy with the way it performed in the kettle. It didn't do a great job mixing in LME the end got all bent (too flimsy). Now I can use mine to mix in the kettle with my cordless drill and use it to aerate after chilling.

nice. very nice.

Back