Stirring Mash in Cooler MLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theganda

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and while i was stirring my mash, my braid ended up coming up a bit when the spoon hit it. I tried to nudge it back down and stir without disturbing it, but my poor efficiency made me reconsider whether or not this had helped. Does anyone else have an issue with this? Does it even make a difference or am I just stressing over nothing?

This exact thing happened to me the last time I mashed. The end of the braid bent upward and no matter what I did, it would not stay down. I ended up with about 80% efficiency so it didn't hurt. However, I did tilt the cooler some towards the outlet to make sure I got all the wort out of the cooler.

I messed the braid up when I stirred and now it has some big dents in it. Might have to replace and be more careful next time.

I use a manifold myself, but I have seen many braids that are fastened down on the far side, or use a large brass or stainless plug to weight it down.

2503988984_4c9b72fe48.jpg

Latest posts

Back