Stirring at Mashing & Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney Zaw

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have a question about Stirring at Mashing & Sparging.
Is it any issue about Stirring at Mashing & Sparging?
I have some argument about stirring between our brewer from brewhouse.

Please help me.

I'm not sure what you mean by issues. Since my very first all grain brew, I've stirred every 15 minutes in the mash, and every time I add water for batch sparging. I'm usually very close to the predicted OG, and iodine tests are good. I've never tried any other methods, but this works for me.

I stir mainly to keep uniform temperatures. I mash in a rectangular cooler, the corner areas cool off much faster than the interior. If I didn't stir temps would be all over the place. If I need to add heat, I stir with a 1500 watt heat stick.

Last edited:
Are there brewers that stir the mash on a fly sparge? That's more of a batch sparge thing.

I never do that, but then again, I do a recirculated mash, so the grain bed has been nicely set for 50 minutes before I ramp up to 168°F and start the fly sparge...

Cheers!

I'll stir the mash a couple of times to insure even temperature, especially when brewing in the cold. My mash tun is insulated some, but at sub freezing temps, it cools down on edges some. I run a 10 min recirculation at the end of mash. Running it longer cools mash down too much.

Someday may rig a HERMS or RIMS, but have been trying to keep it simple, and it seems to be working out so far.

I don't stir during sparge, as I try don't want to disturb the grain bed. One reason is to avoid a stuck mash, the other is not to stir up more cloudiness of wort that the recirculation cleared up. I tend to crush my grain on the fine side for good extraction efficiency, and post recirculation stirring gets more grain bits though the mash screen.

Stirring will improve efficiency. Excessive stirring, though, will reduce temperature. Stir once or twice at the beginning of the mash and the sparge, but then leave it alone.

thanks guys. actually I am brewing 500 liters & 1500 liters by using Speidel Brand 3 in 1 braumeister Automatic system. But mostly I am brewing at Manual Method. That's why I have thick grain bed issue.
Anyway thanks for all of your reply. really appreciate!

Latest posts

Back