stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
I have alot of brews under my belt but have never done a yeast starter before. the last brew i did obviously needed a starter because it did not come out like it was supposed to.

i'm constructing a stir plate and well although i'm making one i don't really know how to use it. i know how to turn it on and everything, but just wondering the technique to it and a better understanding of the process.

Check out this site, http://www.brewershardware.com/StirPlateInstructions.htm. Quick and easy instructions. You can also check in Youtube. There are a few videos but with these instructions and a good understanding of yeast starters you will be in good shape. For yeast starter check out this link,

Hope this helps!!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Using a stir plate can be tricky sometimes but with some practice they are fun to use. Some of the tips/tricks I've read and developed over the years.

1. Make sure the flask/container you are using has a flat bottom to it. Otherwise the stir bar will not stay in the center of the container.
  2. Drop the stirbar in and move the flask around until the stirbar appears to be in the center.
  3. Start it up slow and allow it to start stirring. Gradually increase the speed of the stirrer until you get a good vortex. I like to run mine with the vortex extending about 2 inches in a 2000ml flask. However, initially I run it at the fastest speed possible to aerate the wort for about 30 minutes. Aeration will then continue at the "regular" speed.s
  4. If the stirbar is making a lot of noise try moving very slightly to try to find a spot where it runs smoother.
  5. When you're ready to pitch take a magnet along the outside of the flask and pull the stirbar out the top or simply hold the stirbar with the other magnet while your pour the yeast.
  6. Try to keep you stirbars away from each other to prevent loss of magnetic power over time.
  7. Boil your flask with the stirbar in it to sanitize it with the wort.
  8. Don't use an airlock, use foam stoppers or aluminum foil. Airlocks don't allow enough air exchange for a starter.
  9. If you are using pyrex erlenmeyer flasks it is nice because you can boil right in the flask, however, you almost have to get fermcap to prevent boil overs.
  10. Mix DME at a ratio of 1 gram for every 10 ml of final wort volume. ie for a 1600ml starter add 160grams DME and fill the flask to above 1600ml so that after the boil its around 1600ml total.
That's about all I can think of on the top of my head. Does that help? Any other specific questions?

Check out this site, http://www.brewershardware.com/StirPlateInstructions.htm. Quick and easy instructions. You can also check in Youtube. There are a few videos but with these instructions and a good understanding of yeast starters you will be in good shape. For yeast starter check out this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSrbukazO_Q&feature=related

Hope this helps!!! :D

ah thanks i actually watched this video a while back when i first started AG and couldn't remember where i had seen it. thanks for the video

Using a stir plate can be tricky sometimes but with some practice they are fun to use. Some of the tips/tricks I've read and developed over the years.

1. Make sure the flask/container you are using has a flat bottom to it. Otherwise the stir bar will not stay in the center of the container.
  2. Drop the stirbar in and move the flask around until the stirbar appears to be in the center.
  3. Start it up slow and allow it to start stirring. Gradually increase the speed of the stirrer until you get a good vortex. I like to run mine with the vortex extending about 2 inches in a 2000ml flask. However, initially I run it at the fastest speed possible to aerate the wort for about 30 minutes. Aeration will then continue at the "regular" speed.s
  4. If the stirbar is making a lot of noise try moving very slightly to try to find a spot where it runs smoother.
  5. When you're ready to pitch take a magnet along the outside of the flask and pull the stirbar out the top or simply hold the stirbar with the other magnet while your pour the yeast.
  6. Try to keep you stirbars away from each other to prevent loss of magnetic power over time.
  7. Boil your flask with the stirbar in it to sanitize it with the wort.
  8. Don't use an airlock, use foam stoppers or aluminum foil. Airlocks don't allow enough air exchange for a starter.
  9. If you are using pyrex erlenmeyer flasks it is nice because you can boil right in the flask, however, you almost have to get fermcap to prevent boil overs.
  10. Mix DME at a ratio of 1 gram for every 10 ml of final wort volume. ie for a 1600ml starter add 160grams DME and fill the flask to above 1600ml so that after the boil its around 1600ml total.
That's about all I can think of on the top of my head. Does that help? Any other specific questions?

yes that is exactly what i was looking for. so really all the stirplate does is speed the starter process up a bit?

yes that is exactly what i was looking for. so really all the stirplate does is speed the starter process up a bit?

It not only speeds it up but more importantly it allows for higher yeast numbers for the given volume of wort and the yeast produced are more likely to be healthy and ready to go. The stir plate itself helps to keep the yeast in suspension which provides more contact with the necessary metabolites (sugar, amino acids, etc) for reproduction and growth. The plate also helps to remove CO2 and to allow more diffusion of O2 into the wort which again helps with reproduction, growth and overall yeast health. This gas diffusion is the reason why an airlock should not be used.

Go to this link and notice how making a yeast starter on a stir plate significantly drops the required volume of starter that is required. This is due to the reasons mentioned above.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

It not only speeds it up but more importantly it allows for higher yeast numbers for the given volume of wort and the yeast produced are more likely to be healthy and ready to go. The stir plate itself helps to keep the yeast in suspension which provides more contact with the necessary metabolites (sugar, amino acids, etc) for reproduction and growth. The plate also helps to remove CO2 and to allow more diffusion of O2 into the wort which again helps with reproduction, growth and overall yeast health. This gas diffusion is the reason why an airlock should not be used.

Go to this link and notice how making a yeast starter on a stir plate significantly drops the required volume of starter that is required. This is due to the reasons mentioned above.
http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

thank you for taking the time to explain everything. I truly do appreciate it and I should've been making a starter and a stirplate from day one. truly an ah ha moment. thanks for the link as well.

Back