Stir Plate questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been eyeing the Maelstrom stir plate for some time now. I may pull the plug in a couple of months (got some other things I want to pay off/get first), but had some questions.

I looked at some used stir plates on eBay and see some of them have a heating function. What would be the benefit of a heat plate? Is that for something entirely different that doesn't pertain to our hobby? Some of the used prices are as much as the Maelstrom's price. I saw one called a Black MAXX. Seems I've seen that name before, so I'm guessing that's a brand no longer made?

In many (bio-)chemistry labs heating and stirred is combined. Glassware is rarely directly heated, usually with a thermostatically controlled oil bath.

Most yeasts propagate better around 80°F. Some even higher and lacto thrives at 110F.

I think heating function could be very useful depending on what you like to brew with. Brett and lacto both benefit from higher than average fermentation temps. You could use the heating function when making starters for those. Beyond that, i kinda dont see much use for it.

I have been eyeing a Maelstrom too. i currently use one I made with a project box and computer fan. works great but only up to about 2L.

In many (bio-)chemistry labs heating and stirred is combined. Glassware is rarely directly heated, usually with a thermostatically controlled oil bath.

Most yeasts propagate better around 80°F. Some even higher and lacto thrives at 110F.

So, from what I gather. some of the prices of a used heated stirplate are the same as a new Maelstrom. Pros and cons of each.........

Maelstrom:

Pros: New, with warranty
Pros: Has a timer function
Cons: No heating ability, is that worth it considering average house temp is 73-74F?
Cons: Is timer function worth the higher price?

Used Stirplate:

Pros: Heated plate allows better yeast propagation
Pros: Coolish Mad Scientist look to some of them
Cons: No timer function, Again worth it if I let it run til I'm done anyways?
Cons: Some look beat all to hell, so reliability concerns...

I think heating function could be very useful depending on what you like to brew with. Brett and lacto both benefit from higher than average fermentation temps. You could use the heating function when making starters for those. Beyond that, i kinda dont see much use for it.

I have been eyeing a Maelstrom too. i currently use one I made with a project box and computer fan. works great but only up to about 2L.

Kinda my dilemma too. I really don't see myself making a lot of sours. I don't even have any downloaded sour recipes. Heck, I've been brewing for almost 4 years now, and I've yet to make a lager. My current stirrer is only good with a 2L flask. The 2L hangs over the edge of it. I've been wanting a 5L for big batches/beers, so I could imagine how much bigger that flask would be compared to my 2L. This is what has me leaning toward the Maelstrom.

Kinda my dilemma too. I really don't see myself making a lot of sours. I don't even have any downloaded sour recipes. Heck, I've been brewing for almost 4 years now, and I've yet to make a lager. My current stirrer is only good with a 2L flask. The 2L hangs over the edge of it. I've been wanting a 5L for big batches/beers, so I could imagine how much bigger that flask would be compared to my 2L. This is what has me leaning toward the Maelstrom.

Did you make your current stir plate now? If so, just swap out the case all the parts are in for a bigger box. As long as the fan/motor is centered, you're good to go.

You don't need a "cyclone" in the starter, just enough for a gentle stir.

Did you make your current stir plate now? If so, just swap out the case all the parts are in for a bigger box. As long as the fan/motor is centered, you're good to go.

You don't need a "cyclone" in the starter, just enough for a gentle stir.

Bought it from AiH. It's a StirStarter.

So, from what I gather. some of the prices of a used heated stirplate are the same as a new Maelstrom. Pros and cons of each.........

Maelstrom:

Pros: New, with warranty
Pros: Has a timer function
Cons: No heating ability, is that worth it considering average house temp is 73-74F?
Cons: Is timer function worth the higher price?

Used Stirplate:

Pros: Heated plate allows better yeast propagation
Pros: Coolish Mad Scientist look to some of them
Cons: No timer function, Again worth it if I let it run til I'm done anyways?
Cons: Some look beat all to hell, so reliability concerns...

Nice comparison!

The timer is pretty useless. As soon as it turns off and stops stirring, the yeast starts to roll into fermentation mode and you could lose a lot through blow-off. Even with Fermcap. Ask the countertop whirlers.

Heating can be advantageous if your growing area is cold or cool. Or if you want faster growth (Lacto, Brett, Pedio). The difference between 80F or 73F (ambient) is not gonna make a huge difference for sacch.

Commercial units usually have a stronger motor (not a converted fan) and a stronger/larger magnet. The speed control may also be a bit finer. The housing is more robust. Also more beaten up. But they're built to last and used 24/365/10+. Many are quite high (in vertical dimension) with a smallish platform, which can become a stability issue using 5 liter flasks or gallon jugs.

Yeah, most look like they've been (ab)used very well. And certainly not been babied. Some could be at end of life or even broken.

Why not build your own? It's very easy with this thread. If Gavin C can do it so can you!

That is an option as well.

I think I'll scratch the used plates off the list. So for now, I'll look into building my own. I've seen the DIY stirplate thread, so the cool thing about the DIY route it can look as cool and be as robust as I want it.

That is an option as well.

I think I'll scratch the used plates off the list. So for now, I'll look into building my own. I've seen the DIY stirplate thread, so the cool thing about the DIY route it can look as cool and be as robust as I want it.

This is a new stir plate thread using a $12.50 "portable fan" with speed controller and USB power supply.

Having a low and wide profile surely helps with stability. If you need more weight, you can put a steel plate on the bottom.

There is a thread where the guy built a 3-D printed stir plate box. I would have liked to see it wider, though. This is where having good friends and contacts can be more beneficial than just for finishing off kegs.

I found the rare earth magnets on eBay for a (Chinese) song. 50x10x3 mm, 5 for <$5.00 shipped.

This is a new stir plate thread using a $12.50 "portable fan" with speed controller and USB power supply.

Having a low and wide profile surely helps with stability. If you need more weight, you can put a steel plate on the bottom.

There is a thread where the guy built a 3-D printed stir plate box. I would have liked to see it wider, though. This is where having good friends and contacts can be more beneficial than just for finishing off kegs.

I found the rare earth magnets on eBay for a (Chinese) song. 50x10x3 mm, 5 for <$5.00 shipped.

I remember seeing in a DIY stir plate thread where one member made his out of Legos. Thought that was a pretty cool idea.

What about using steel for the enclosure? Would that be a bad idea given the strength of the rare earth magnets? I could probably get some scrap steel from work.

I remember seeing in a DIY stir plate thread where one member made his out of Legos. Thought that was a pretty cool idea.

What about using steel for the enclosure? Would that be a bad idea given the strength of the rare earth magnets? I could probably get some scrap steel from work.

I've seen the Lego plate on Brulosopher's website (Author: Ray Found).

Steel has the advantage of its weight and can be very pro looking. But making a good box from it also takes pro tools (cutter, brake, drill press, punch). Not sure if the steel causes a problem for the magnet as long as you cut a hole in the middle where it spins. I was given some decommissioned lab shakers I've converted to stir plates. They have metal cases with the center circle cut out. My magnets are not strong enough to see any problems now, but I'm going to replace them with a much stronger rare earth one. We'll see, although I don't expect any surprises there, it may interfere with the motor, now you've mentioned it.

Here are those 50x10x3mm magnets. I may use two 25x10x3mm, head to toe, instead. I'm covering the whole top with a piece of mylar film. Easy clean up.

I've seen the Lego plate on Brulosopher's website (Author: Ray Found).

Steel has the advantage of its weight and can be very pro looking. But making a good box from it also takes pro tools (cutter, brake, drill press, punch). Not sure if the steel causes a problem for the magnet as long as you cut a hole in the middle where it spins. I was given some decommissioned lab shakers I've converted to stir plates. They have metal cases with the center circle cut out. My magnets are not strong enough to see any problems now, but I'm going to replace them with a much stronger rare earth one. We'll see, although I don't expect any surprises there, although it may interfere with the motor, now you've mentioned it.

Here are those 50x10x3mm magnets. I may use two 25x10x3mm, head to toe, instead. I'm covering the whole top with a piece of mylar film. Easy clean up.

You don't want any type of ferrous metals between the stir bar and the magnets on the motor. Also, you don't want the magnets to close to the motor / fan either hence the reason why people build these with spacers.

BTW, this is the StirStarter website that even has the DIY section you can follow: http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

Do you like those magnets better than the Mag-Craft used in Gavin's Stir plate thread? If I go the DIY route, likely, I may do a double stir plate. There's been a couple of times where I've wanted to get two different starters going due to brewing a batch on Saturday, then on Sunday.

You don't want any type of ferrous metals between the stir bar and the magnets on the motor. Also, you don't want the magnets to close to the motor / fan either hence the reason why people build these with spacers.

BTW, this is the StirStarter website that even has the DIY section you can follow: http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

I was thinking of doing the body in steel, and the top (between the magnets and stirbar) would be clear lexon. I'm going to scrap that idea and maybe just go with a wooden box.

Looking at the Stirstarter website now. Thanks for the link!

Do you like those magnets better than the Mag-Craft used in Gavin's Stir plate thread? If I go the DIY route, likely, I may do a double stir plate. There's been a couple of times where I've wanted to get two different starters going due to brewing a batch on Saturday, then on Sunday.

I expect them to be similar. The Chinese ones are (allegedly) N52 grade, K&J's are mostly N42, some N52 and higher, MagCraft are all N40, the lowest magnetism of the 3. I'm sure either would work fine for our purposes.

I think longer is better for tracking especially with longer beans. So 2" should work for all of them.

Always good to have 2 stirrers. :mug:

Back