stir plate: looking for a quick answer before bed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I made a stir plate, and was excited to try it out. I made a 2.5 L starter put it in a 1/2 gallon glass jug. Started it up, and after a couple minutes it threw the stir bar (curved bottom/no speed control). My question is do any of you see using a Stainless steel cooking pot causing a problem? I tried it with plain water and it worked fine. Will the SS put too much load on my computer fan DIY stir plate? I plan on just putting the lid on it instead of aluminum foil. Should that be fine? Thanks for the help.

flat bottom is really important. might have to play around with magnets and bars to get a good match.

I can't imagine not being able to see inside my flask. I'd recommend getting one.

Yeah, I plan on getting one now, just had to think quick with this one. I have a glass pot but the starter would have been right to the top with no room for foam. I've been peaking under the lid just to make sure it is still going.

The S/S will work but its not ideal. Sounds like you plan on upgrading to a flask anyways, so I would just use what works tonight.

Also S/S is a non-ferous metal, and will have absolutely no affect on the magnetic fields of your fan or stir bar magnets.

I have been able to do starters in mason jars with curved bottoms, but you have to get it centered pretty well and manage the speed, which it doesn't sound like you can do with your stir plate.

A flask will have a nice bottom, and you know you don't have to have a vortex to get good results, right? Just keeping the yeast in suspension and turning over the surface of the sample is good enough. You may try slowing down the speed a bit and see how it goes.

I have 2 stir plates. One with speed control and one without. To slow down the one without, I just use a lower voltage power supply.

I've used a glass wine decanter bought for $5 at Big Lots. It had a fairly flat bottom and worked pretty good.

Latest posts

Back