Stimulus plan revealed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wild

Reaction score
Two contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House. One is from Chicago, and the other is from Texas.

The Texas contractor does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.

"The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$2,700.

"The official, incredulous, says, "You didn’t even measure like the other guy! How did you come up with such a high figure?

"The Chicago contractor whispers back, "$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Texas to fix the fence."

"Done!" replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the new stimulus plan will work.

Ohhhh I get it. The guy from Connecticut... I mean Texas is Bush and he'd do a much better job of fixing the economy, right? And the mob boss from Chicago is the president we have now? The one that's only been president a month, and has to fix 8 years of clusterF'ery?

Economies don't die in a day. Even the market crash of 1929 was years in the making.

Yeah, gotta love those honest straight-talkers from Tejas, like the one who hooked up his vice president's former corporation with a bunch of no-bid contracts in Iraq. :rolleyes:

You know what's awesome? The naivete that is just dripping from the above "joke". As if this nonsense doesn't happen every day all over the country. It's the nature of the beast. Yes, the stimulus will happen like this, just like the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan happened just like this, and the billions in "earmarks" happen just like this, and pretty much everything the government does...happens just like this. WTF? As if you had any doubt? As if it'd be any different if any one of the other candidates but Dr. Paul were elected? We keep electing these crooked republocrats, we get what we deserve.

Oh...
And here I was thinking it was making a joke out of political situation.

Don't mind the keyboard warriors Wild. They fight passionately on the front lines of the internet. They make sure you know their views and why they disagree, it's VERY important.

duty_calls.png

Yeah, some people just can't take a joke for what it is and leave it alone.

Two contractors are bidding to fix a broken fence at the White House. One is from Chicago, and the other is from Texas.

The Texas contractor does some measuring and figuring, then says, "I can do this job for $700: $300 for materials, $300 for my crew and $100 profit for me.

"The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, "$2,700.

"The official, incredulous, says, "You didn’t even measure like the other guy! How did you come up with such a high figure?

"The Chicago contractor whispers back, "$1000 for me, $1000 for you, and we hire the guy from Texas to fix the fence."

"Done!" replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the new stimulus plan will work.

TBF, the OP ended with a political statement which took it out of the "joke" context, and into a debate worthy topic.

Also, I am pretty sure that the OP's joke was referring to the highly corrupt Chicago political machine (i.e, Blago et al.). You remember... the one selling the Senate seat.

Actually the OP's joke has been around for years, with various names/places attached to it depending on the day's news.

TBF, the OP ended with a political statement which took it out of the "joke" context, and into a debate worthy topic.
I would have put it in the debate area if that was the intention but it wasn't.
I expected more comments toward the Texan hiring illegals for a $ a day and taking the rest and so-on.

I would have put it in the debate area if that was the intention but it wasn't.
I expected more comments toward the Texan hiring illegals for a $ a day and taking the rest and so-on.

What? where did the illegals come from? Wasn't this thread already misunderstood enough?:)

Somebody got up on the wrong side of the crypt today.

Wild, here's the thing: the joke itself is apt and somewhat humorous. The problem with it is the baggage attached to it by having the "honest" contractor hail from Texas and the "dishonest" contractor hail from Chicago---an OBVIOUS allusion to Bush being (kinda) from Texas and Obama being from Illinois. Without the tired (and inaccurate) partisan sniping, it's a funny joke. Omit any mention of where the contractors are from (because it obviously has no bearing on the meat of the joke except as a partisan snipe), and the joke still works. Better, in fact. Get it?

Also, I am pretty sure that the OP's joke was referring to the highly corrupt Chicago political machine (i.e, Blago et al.). You remember... the one selling the Senate seat.

Except that the "highly corrupt Chicago political machine" has nothing to do with the stimulus, which is what the joke was about. It's essentially saying Bush was honest and Obama is not. Or, perhaps, the inclusion of "Texas" and "Chicago" were just...coincidences...:D

Except that the "highly corrupt Chicago political machine" has nothing to do with the stimulus, which is what the joke was about. It's essentially saying Bush was honest and Obama is not. Or, perhaps, the inclusion of "Texas" and "Chicago" were just...coincidences...:D

I gotta side with Evan! on this one... the Texas reference to Bush (even though I like the guy) really doesn't work.... his administrations spending was pretty incredible... The joke itself was pretty funny, in sick sort of way... that really is indicative of politics in general these days.

Wow, I guess I need to stay off the computer when I'm drinkin'.
Time to head over to BJ's and p/u 5# of hops for comp prizes.

Ok, my turn.

I first start reading, thinking this was a pretty good joke. I didn't catch (or care) about the implication of the Texas/Chicago reference. But now, I see that it's too much coincidence to ignore.

Left wing, right wing, what the f*** ever. They're all crooked and they are all out to fleece America.

For all you Democrooks out there, I can say that.... Oh, never mind.

And for the Republicrooks, what about the time.... Forget it.

Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....

Back