Still some stuff on top after 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
On my first brew the krausen fell and all of the stuff floating on top fell to the bottom after about 4 days. My current brew has been going 6 days and there is still some stuff floating on top. It's not a whole lot just a very light layer. In some places it kinda looks like dust floating on top. Some places it looks more foamy. Is this ok? I am planning to rack tomorrow if the gravity stays steady. Should I wait for this stuff to sink to the bottom?

In my SHORT time in this biz, i have learned one thing. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO WAIT A BIT LONGER!!!

Waiting longer never seems to hurt anything, is a safeguard, and usually ends up improving the end result!

patience is a big virtue in the hobby.

Also, krausen retention is a huge property of the yeast. I was amazed when my Kolsch was ready to bottle per the hydrometer, but still had krausen.

but it was also the first time using Wyeast 2565 Kolsch smack pack, and I don't have a lot of experience with liquid beer yeasts (yet).

I was wondering about the same thing in my last brew, an American Cream Ale. It is the first one that I made with pelleted hops. Some of the hop, a tiny bit, is still floating at the surface along with a few patches of tiny bubbles/foam. I am just going to be cool about it and wait and see. Not easy for me, but I don't have a lot of other options with this experiment.

Usually do all of the particulates always sink?

I'm getting tired of signing myself as Petunia so here is my real name...

So thanks!

Jennifer

no, often there is still particulate matter floating in primary, especially a 7-10 day primary.
Hence why most beers get a secondary for a couple weeks (minimum) to help fully clear the beer, and allow the residual yeast to mellow out some of the flavors it produced.

malklore, that is kinda what I was thinking was going on. Not worried, just curious. Thanks for answering my question.

Jennifer

Back