Still some activity after reaching FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi
I have a noob question.

I have a beer that I believe has reached FG yet still bubbles now and then.
I have checked the gravity using a refractometer three days in a row and see no change.

Am I correct to assume that the bubbles are probably co2 coming out of solution?

SG 1.058, FG 1.013 using wlp007 and no speciality grains. The beer has cleared quite a bit and I am keen to cold crash and bottle. I fear oxidation so I don't want to keep the beer in the bucket for any longer than necessary.

Thanks

If the it has been stable for several days then you're at your FG. Those bubbles could be from CO2 coming out of solution or temperature changes of the wort.

How long has it been fermenting ?

8 days. I forced fermented the wort hydrometer sample so I quite confident it has indeed reached FG... I am just wonder what is the mechanism that takes the co2 out of solution... The beer has been at steady temp for a few days.

I hear bubbles every like 2-5 minutes or so.
I am curious about what is going on.

Bubbling. just means that the pressure inside the fermenter is higher than outside. Temp change, pressure change, etc can cause this.

Is this one done yet? It is still bubbling.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzT_KTTZ0Q[/ame]

8 days. I forced fermented the wort hydrometer sample so I quite confident it has indeed reached FG... I am just wonder what is the mechanism that takes the co2 out of solution... The beer has been at steady temp for a few days.

I hear bubbles every like 2-5 minutes or so.
I am curious about what is going on.

I'd give it more time, even if it has reached FG, the yeast still have to go back and do some clean up

Forget about bubbles. They are reassuring when you see them, but they are NOT a scientific method of assessing fermentation.

If your SG is stable, yer done!!!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a hydrometer will be 12$ well spent. I don't thing the refractometers are super accurate.

-J.

Back