Still Manufacturing Cornies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kojones

Reaction score
Howdy-

I've seen a number of old threads on this. The owner of my store (I think he was) said they have stopped manufacturing Corny-style soda kegs. If this is true, the supply will eventually run out (and before that, the prices will go way up). So - first question is where do I get cheap ball-lock kegs? Second question - is this true that they don't make them anymore? I find it hard to believe that the entire homebrew community would be left in the dust and needing to change over to adapt to new keg styles.

Ready, set, DISCUSS!

Cheers,
Kojones

Cornies were never manufactured for the HomeBrew market.

But, yes, according to Coca-Cola they are still beiong produced in a reduced quantity. As an aside, these kegs have also found use with the wine industry as well as spirits dispense.

Thanks. Anybody have a good current source for low-cost kegs?

Cheers,
Kojones

Thanks. Anybody have a good current source for low-cost kegs?

Cheers,
Kojones

Just shop around( internet) alot and jump on them when they get in the -$20-$25 range. They average around $35 not shipped, but you can get them cheaper sometimes. Also dont be afraid of non- reconditioned one. They are easy and cheap to do at home. ALso, yes the prices have going up.

Definitely look at pin locks if you haven't bought anything yet. It seems a few years ago there were always more ball locks so a lot of people bought up those, and now that supplies are getting lower the prices are going up. Pin locks can be found fairly cheap though, sometimes at half the price of ball lock. You can also get some MFL disconnects if you want to be able to handle both types, and keep an eye out on craigslist and sales online for good deals!

They do still make new kegs but they are somewhat expensive, around $100-$120 for a 5 gallon. You can find used ones on the net as others have said.

cornelius, spartenberg and firestone stopped making new kegs years ago and no new soda kegs are being made anywhere in the usa. all of the new ones are made in italy or germany now, so they're pretty expensive...

Definitely look at pin locks if you haven't bought anything yet. It seems a few years ago there were always more ball locks so a lot of people bought up those, and now that supplies are getting lower the prices are going up. Pin locks can be found fairly cheap though, sometimes at half the price of ball lock. You can also get some MFL disconnects if you want to be able to handle both types, and keep an eye out on craigslist and sales online for good deals!

that's because pepsi dumped most of their used kegs on the surplus market first. now that the pepsi kegs have been mostly bought-up, coke is dumping the rest of their kegs on the market... so now pinlocks are easier to get than ball-locks.

Back