Still, Just A Noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petho

Reaction score
So, I am feeling pretty good about myself. I have 5 cases of homebrew in various stages of repose stacked at the foot of my bed. I have had 5 sucessful brew days and not a bad batch as yet. I go to bottle my latest concoction tonight which is a California Wheat, I am most excited about this recipe. Bottleing night was less than steller. There were these small gnat like creatures hovering over the open bottling bucket. I thought I was able to shoo them all away and put a lid on it however when bottling the last bottle, I found 2 of the little beggers tit's up in the bottom of the bucket.
Anyone have an opinon as to the effects of dead creatures in a wort?

I took my FG, it was .018 which surprised me because this brew sat in the carboy for 3.5 weeks. Of course I forgot to take a OG on this batch.

I am feeling quite the Noob tonight. :confused:

Dead flies in fresh wort could cause a problem, but if it was beer being bottled then the alcohol will probably kill anything really bad.

They add to the head retention of the finished beer as they contribute protein. :)

I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

At least they died happy.

DeadFly.jpg

Shouldn't present a problem.

Back