Still, Just A Noob.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Petho

Reaction score
So, I am feeling pretty good about myself. I have 5 cases of homebrew in various stages of repose stacked at the foot of my bed. I have had 5 sucessful brew days and not a bad batch as yet. I go to bottle my latest concoction tonight which is a California Wheat, I am most excited about this recipe. Bottleing night was less than steller. There were these small gnat like creatures hovering over the open bottling bucket. I thought I was able to shoo them all away and put a lid on it however when bottling the last bottle, I found 2 of the little beggers tit's up in the bottom of the bucket.
Anyone have an opinon as to the effects of dead creatures in a wort?

I took my FG, it was .018 which surprised me because this brew sat in the carboy for 3.5 weeks. Of course I forgot to take a OG on this batch.

I am feeling quite the Noob tonight. :confused:

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
Dead flies in fresh wort could cause a problem, but if it was beer being bottled then the alcohol will probably kill anything really bad.

mosyslack

doesn't drink...hahaha
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They add to the head retention of the finished beer as they contribute protein. :)

I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At least they died happy.

DeadFly.jpg

Shouldn't present a problem.