still flat after 3.5 weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woollybugger2

Reaction score
I brewed up a Brown Ale

Starting Gravity = 1.064 Final Gravity = 1.013(per the recipe), I got 1.016 FG

Fermented in the primary for SIX weeks and then bottled!

Added 5oz of corn sugar boiled with water and cooled to the bottling bucket, then siphoned in the 5 gallons...

Man this beer has the potential to taste GREAT, but with out carb it's like a Guinness.

The bottles have been sitting @ 72 ~ 74 degrees for the past 24 days and although I get an anemic pfst upon opening a bottle there is ZERO carbonation in the beer. Kegging is not an option.

Now I'm worried about bottling my Triple that's been in the secondary for 4 months and a wee heavy that's been sitting for 3 months....

HELP! ADVICE!

recipe:

Mini Mash

4.0 lbs Muntons Light LME
4.5 lbs 2-row Brewers Malt
14 oz Victory Malt
14 oz Special Roast Malt
14 oz Crystal 60 Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt
1.0 oz Cascade pellet hops (Bittering)
0.25 oz Nugget pellet (US) hops (Bittering)
0.25 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Flavoring)
0.5 oz Fuggle pellet hops (Finishing)
1 tsp. Irish moss
2/3 to 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime
Wyeast 1056 (2L starter)

Do you have a layer of sediment on the bottom of the bottles?

just a little, very hard to tell the beer is very dark

so far I've sampled a 22 oz at one week and didn't worry too much at that time and then last night I had a pint bottle I would say that the dregs were cloudy but there wasn't a thick layer of yeast on the bottom of the bottle.

I'll sample a 12 oz next and see...

This is my 9th brew this year and all of the others have carbed up in a week or two....

I'm thinking that six weeks may have been a little too long. It would seem that pretty much all the yeast has dropped out. I've had a couple batches that didn't carb too well, and those were long secondaries. At least one of those was the same yeast. The flavor was good, but the carbs were lacking. I've sense then limited the secondary to four weeks, with a two week max primary.

I'm tempted to get some muttons carb tabs and try them on a few bottles...

but if its a yeast problem then I'm stuck with flat beer -- don't worry, it's NOT going to get dumped....

Okay, chilled a third bottle,a 12 ouncer, and it just had a minimum pfst upon opening beer while very tasty is FLAT FLAT FLAT!

I took the dregs of the bottle, which appeared to be a little cloudy with yeast, and added a pinch of corn sugar, covered it up and waited till the next morning. It smelled like yeast! so the are still alive!!!

I have a couple of Grolsch bottles of this batch and I was thinking of adding some Muttons Carb Tablets and then waiting another week or two to see how they do..

If that works, I'll be recapping the rest of the batch...

I had a dunkleweizen act the same way, 8 weeks, flat. I then swirled every bottle to resuspend the yeast, and 2 weeks later had a noticeable improvement. Not a shake, a nice swirl. My main issue was that the original priming location was too cold, and that settled the yeast, warming it up didn't help until the swirl. Worth a shot.

Back