Still fermenting after 2 weeks. . . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzofo1

Reaction score
. . .is this normal or okay? We're brewing our 2nd batch, DIPA. OG read was on target at 1.080 and pitched 001 yeast two weeks ago at temp of 68F. Last week we took hydrometer reading at 1.026, transfered from primary to secondary 5gal carboy and added dry hops. Activity in the airlock after transferring. Room temp the first week around 68-70F. 2nd week room temp about same. Kept the carboy covered with blanket. Still lots of activity in airlock. FG should be at 1.016. Have not taken another hydro reading as too much activity still.

Is this normal for it to be active for 2 weeks? Should I wait another week or day by day, before taking another hydro reading? Thank you.

. . .is this normal or okay? We're brewing our 2nd batch, DIPA. OG read was on target at 1.080 and pitched 001 yeast two weeks ago at temp of 68F. Last week we took hydrometer reading at 1.026, transfered from primary to secondary 5gal carboy and added dry hops. Activity in the airlock after transferring. Room temp the first week around 68-70F. 2nd week room temp about same. Kept the carboy covered with blanket. Still lots of activity in airlock. FG should be at 1.016. Have not taken another hydro reading as too much activity still.

Is this normal for it to be active for 2 weeks? Should I wait another week or day by day, before taking another hydro reading? Thank you.

Take a hydrometer reading. My guess is it's done. Adding dry hops provides nucleation sites for CO2 to bubble out of solution. Air lock activity means nothing. Use FG.

Bubbles from airlock in secondary fermenter are just from creating co2 during transfer. The reading of 1.026 says to me that you still have some fermentation to do. Did you use a yeast starter? A yeast starter is a good idea to use on all higher gravity beers.

Why did you rack in the first place? 1.026 is high, and per your post is high to the expected FG. Never rack until you reach your FG!

Why did you rack in the first place? 1.026 is high, and per your post is high to the expected FG. Never rack until you reach your FG!

We racked after the first week for 2nd stage of fermentation and dry hopping per instructions. This is only our 2nd batch. The 1.026 reading was a week ago. We are into our 2nd week. Maybe we should take a hydro reading tomorrow first thing then.

i recently did a 10 gal. batch in two fermenters with the same yeast(2pac.of safale 05);first one fermented out after 4 days,secoond one after 2 weeks. sometimes there is no sense to make of it,just be patient

Back