Still Bubbling at Day 18

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcpal

Reaction score
First homebrew, a weizenbock, is still showing signs of bubbling through the stopper and it is now day 18. That seems a little long from what I had read.
I will be away for work starting this weekend for 8 days and Im afraid the fermentation will stop at that point and I won't be around to bottle.

Is that going to destroy anything or should I be fine?

Also, have the bottling equipment and I plan on just rinsing out used commercial bottles (lots of hopslam bottles), does that work or do I need to go out and buy new bottles?

Thanks.

Cheers...

1. Leaving it sit in the primary for that long is more than okay. Even if it stops fermenting, it can continue to sit in the primary for a while with no detrimental effects.

2. Rinsing out commercial bottles is okay. Just remember to wash and sanitize before using them!

3. Bubbling air lock doesn't actually mean anything. Could be fermentation, could be dissolved CO2 coming out of solution, etc.. Only a gravity reading can tell you at what stage fermentation is.
4. Beer in a fermentation bucket, with the headspace filled with CO2, last for a long time, don't worry about it. 99% of bad beers are ruined by taking them out of fermentation too soon, not too late.

Thank you. Im just glad I didnt kill the yeast and the thing is showing life.

A bit nervous about the bottling but have a feeling it will be delicious.

Just letting your beer sit isn't going to kill anything. The yeast are smart and strong and know what to do when left on their own.

Back