Stiff Foamy Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrobot

Reaction score
With a couple more batches waiting in secondary, I'm still working my way through my first batch of a fairly standard extract pale ale. It's no masterpiece and has some banana like flavor to it (Palmer says that's probably because I fermented too warm. No surprise in Houston), but one weird thing it does have is an extra stiff and fluffy head to it.

The head always seems to pour with a mousse like center that holds up for quite a while. Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

It may be a bit overcarbed, so I'll carb to style with my next brew now that I am aware of that factor.

That sounds like a beautiful problem to be having! The more information you post about your specific recipe and yeast, the more likely someone will be to give you a specific answer. There are plenty of ingredients and other adjuncts that contriute to head retention.

Back