Sticky thermometer vs dial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
I have a sticky thermometer on my fermenter that is registering about 64. The dial on the other hand is showing 70 for the air temp. Which one do u think should be more accurate?
Reason I ask is my first couple batches have actually been pretty good even though the dial has been saying the temp is 70-72 in the air. I was worried its be too warm for fermentation

the one to go by is the sticky one on the fermenter. the air temp is not the temp to be concerned with. Fermentation temp is what you want to control, depending on the yeast used; 64* is a good average. To maintain the the temp of the fermenter thru the process is what needs to be done. Look into swampcoolers or a cold floor in the basement; as long as the yeast is kept in the range it likes you should be good. That is ....other concerns aside. Merry X-MAS & cheers:D

Need to check my dial thermometer than. Ayleast the fermenter is cooler than I thought! Would explain why my beer was good.

your dial thermometer is measuring air temp

the sticky is measuring the temp of the liquid inside the fermentor.

the liquid should nearly always be cooler than the air temp, unless you have some sort of heater going.

Are these temperatures measured during the fermentation or after?
With fermentation running, readings should be opposite since temperature in fermenter is higher from air temp.

Can you calibrate your dial thermometer?
I wouldn't put too much faith in sticky.

These are during. We keep our house cool upstairs 63. The basement stays pretty close to that too. I guess as long as it tastes good its ok. Just need verification.

unfortunately, the real answer is that this is probably one of those things you need to figure out for yourself, based on your own rooms, and your equipment, and how warm you keep the house, and where the blower is for the heat, and a few thousand other things.

kinda like figuring out the boil rate for your pot and stove.

Yeast activity is exothermic which means it gives off heat which means the liquid will be warmer than the outside temp. The temp of the liquid will be warmer in the center of the fermenter than on the outside of the fermenter. The sticky thermometer is showing a temp between the outside temp and the inside temp only way to get a true temp is measuring using an immersion probe. Generally speaking though the liquid temp will be higher than the low air temp and lower than the high air temp for the day.

Back