Sticky Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I have two of this style tap handle pictured here. The issue I am having is, the handle sticks the first time I use it for the day. I think what is happening is the beer is sitting in the handle, dries up, and which causes the handle to stick. I have taken them apart and cleaned them real well but it still happens each time. Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas of how to stop it from happening?

Beer_Tap.jpg

Is it a perlick?

I would reccomend taking it apart and soaking it in some PBW overnight and see if that helps.

My tap has become sticky, but i usually am able to take the little ball shafter deal out of the top (terrible description) and clean that and its better.

That style of tap is notorious for sticking. It's just the design of it that allows beer to dry-up/sugar and cause the shuttle mechanism to stick.

Taps that use a "forward seal" like the Perlick 525SS (or now the 630SS) do not have this sticking problem (although, they are considerably more expensive).

That style of tap is notorious for sticking. It's just the design of it that allows beer to dry-up/sugar and cause the shuttle mechanism to stick.

Taps that use a "forward seal" like the Perlick 525SS (or now the 630SS) do not have this sticking problem (although, they are considerably more expensive).

This ^^^^ is exactly right. I had the same issue and if I didn't pour from the tap for a few days, its was VERY hard to pull a pint. Felt like I was going to rip the handle off. Go get some Perlick taps. I got the 525SS from Adventures In Home Brewing for about $35 each. Best price I could find. If not used daily, they do still stick, but only slightly. Nothing like those other taps.

My perlick has never sticked, not even after 3+ weeks of a vacation away time. Agree with others that the standard faucet design has this flaw. Either pull pints often, deal with the sticking, or replace with Perlicks.

My perlick has never sticked, not even after 3+ weeks of a vacation away time. Agree with others that the standard faucet design has this flaw. Either pull pints often, deal with the sticking, or replace with Perlicks.

Ok, maybe "sticking" isn't the correct word. But, if I go a few days without pouring a pint the first pull has slightly more resistance. Again, it's not nearly as bad as my old taps. On a scale from 1-10, my old taps would stick like a 7 or 8. The perlicks would be a 1. It's very, very slight, but still there.

Back