Sticky Foam - Improving foam cling, lacing, and stability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpharm Hill

Reaction score
So ... what kind of experience and advice does everyone have when it comes to foam? I've been able to achieve outstanding stable foam that lasts all the way through the glass, however, my foam cling and stickiness could use a little help in my IPAs. I've had some commercial examples (Tree House and Hill Farmstead amongst others) that have a layer of foam all the way down the glass - not just lacing but an actual layer of uniform foam with each sip to be seen and connected with foam. Has anyone achieved this? I've found that flaked oats in higher amount are terrible for foam.

Mash schedules? Hop schedules? Malt bills? Whirlfloccing vs. not? Conditioning time and temps? There are so many variables at play, but I'd like to gather a singular deposit of possible advice for better foam! So anyone that has input lets hear it.

I've found whirlfloccing to help in certain instances, properly crushed grain, keeping hot and cold break to a minimum in the fermenter, certain yeast strains, have all made a difference.

You probably want to mash at the higher end for more dextrins in the beer. This should promote lacing. Or add carapils if you prefer to mash low. People say it doesn't work, but I think it does.

1480724530705.jpg

Back