Sticky Fermometer Situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Immocles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I peeled off an old fermometer off the side of my bmb. I had placed it in a super annoying spot. It did not peel off well. At all. I got frustrated and scraped/scrubbed at it for a bit. It's sort of just a rectangular, smudgy, and sticky eyesore right now.
Any tips on something that will break down the residue and actually clean the outside of my fermenter? I tried going at it with PBW but it didn't seem to do much. I have the same type of leftover markings from electrical tape.
All purely cosmetic, but damnit anyway....

Try soaking it with water and baking soda. If you cannot sit it in the solution, wet the area, sprinkle baking soda and cover with a wet cloth. After soaking a while you should be able to scrub it off with the cloth

Works great at removing bottle labels with sticky residue.

FYI I hold them on with a little Scotch tape on each side and I fold a tab so it peels off easily without damaging the fermometer :)

15621834136962043433079596754464.jpg

Vegetable oil can remove some adhesives. And then regular dish soap to remove the oil residue. YMMV.

This did the trick. Took a bit of time, but it managed to clear up the gunk. My fermenter and I thank you very much!

FYI I hold them on with a little Scotch tape on each side and I fold a tab so it peels off easily without damaging the fermometer :)

I stumbled across that suggestion while googling for a solution before I posted. It's great proactive idea. Doesn't work as well in the reactive haha. Definitely going that route when I get some new vessels.

Sounds like you already got your issue sorted out, but for anyone else who reads this thread, Goo Gone is designed specifically to remove sticky residue. It's fairly oily so you'll still want to go over it with your cleaner of choice after the sticky stuff is gone. As long as you're using it on the exterior of your equipment, there should be no issues.

My wife had suggested that when she saw me going to war with it the first time. It was kind of my nuclear option if something I had lying around the house didn't work.

Back