Sticky beer!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roggae

Reaction score
last night i bottled an imperial stout that turned out to be neither imperial nor stout. it was crazy sticky. i am sick right now so i can't tell if it was very sweet, but i drank a little and was not repulsed by the taste so i can only assume that it was good. does sticky beer mean a lot of unfermented sugars?

:mug:

roggae said:
last night i bottled an imperial stout that turned out to be neither imperial nor stout. it was crazy sticky. i am sick right now so i can't tell if it was very sweet, but i drank a little and was not repulsed by the taste so i can only assume that it was good. does sticky beer mean a lot of unfermented sugars?

:mug:

How long was it in the primary? Have you taken hydrometer readings?

If you had a lot of oats, the same characteristics that give a stout mouth feel and richness could contribute to the stickiness.

My main concern would be to make sure you are comfortable with the fermentation being complete (aka, hydromter readings constant for several days straight). A lot of unfermented sugars along with priming sugar capped up in bottles has me a little concerned.

Back