Stick on thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdawson9

Reaction score
What is the thought out there on stick on thermometers? Are these accurate in reflecting the internal temp of the wort under fermentation? Also, I currently have a brown ale fermenting and the thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?

I always figure that it is close. Probably a degree or two warmer during the height of fermentation. I am presently using a swamp cooler so my control is not that accurate anyway.

I also have a wired thermometer that I tape to the side of the Better Bottle. They usually read within 2 degrees.

I have a Johnson A419 controller for my fermentation on order and am now looking for a minifridge to complete a chamber. I might then use a thermowell for a more accurate reading.

I have one on all of my buckets and carboys, they are not 100% accurate but close enough, I do stay in the middle of my fermentation range so a little error in either direction is fine.
I have a remote sensor for a digital thermometer sitting on my fermentation table (ping pong table) in my basement to keep an eye on ambient temperature, the strips show me to be about 2 to 3 degrees above that during the active part of fermentation and real close to ambient after it settles down. (I keep a fan blowing on my newly brewed batches to help keep them cool)

What is the thought out there on stick on thermometers? Are these accurate in reflecting the internal temp of the wort under fermentation? Also, I currently have a brown ale fermenting and the thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?

The stick ons, aka Fermometers, aren't supposed to be submerged in water; they're water-resistant, not water-proof

>>thermometer is under the water line in the tub of water I use to keep everything cool. Would that throw things off?

Water will destroy the stick on Thermometer.
I suggest placing it a bit higher.

Back