Stewarding for the first time.. what to expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I am stewarding for the first time at a competition this Saturday, what should I expect my roles to be? I just want to get into judging eventually and figured that's a good first step.

When I stewarded, I was expected to fetch all of the beer that was to be judged at my table. The judges would ask for a beer by entry number and I would then get that beer out of the cooler. The judges popped the top and poured themselves. I was also expected to write down both judges scores after double checking their addition and the final average of those scores. They also invited me to taste the beer too and see what I thought about it after the scoresheets were filled out. The judges I worked with were really friendly and willing to answer any questions I had once they had time to answer them.

Besides bringing the beer and checking the math, you are basically at the beck and call of the judges. They don't need a lot.

Make sure they have enough crackers (or whatever they munch between entries) paper towels if there is a gusher or accident, spare pencils, etc.

They may need to replace an errant entry or they may check to be sure an entry is the correct one, but mostly these things go fine.

Just be prepared for the few things the judges need and pay attention to what they are doing. If you are lucky, the judges may invite you to also sample entries after they have finished scoring them.

When I stewarded, I was expected to fetch all of the beer that was to be judged at my table. The judges would ask for a beer by entry number and I would then get that beer out of the cooler. The judges popped the top and poured themselves. I was also expected to write down both judges scores after double checking their addition and the final average of those scores. They also invited me to taste the beer too and see what I thought about it after the scoresheets were filled out. The judges I worked with were really friendly and willing to answer any questions I had once they had time to answer them.

That's the kind of answer I was hoping for. Sounds like a good time!

That's the kind of answer I was hoping for. Sounds like a good time!

Judge servant.

However, sit with them while they are judging and listen to what they are talking about. You can learn quite a bit if you're planning on pursing certification.

Check in with the contest organizer, and ask them about your specific duties.
Introduce yourself to the judges at your table. Tell them this is your first time stewarding.
Listen to them discuss the beers, and try to pick up the flavors they are talking about, but don't butt in with your opinion.
Hope you don't get stuck with a category you aren't fond of!

Back