sterilised water for rehydating dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
im gonna be rehydrating some dry yeast for the first time for my next batch, it says to use sterilized water, wat exactly is sterilized water, would water and star san be acceptable or would boiled water be better, thing is youd have to let the boiled water cool which could make it be unsterile no? wats the general consensus on this?

Boil 1 cup water, allow to cool to 80-90F, add yeast and gently stir with sanitized spoon and allow to sit for about 30 minutes for yeast to rehydrate and look creamy. Then pitch, that's as easy as it comes.............

i read that boiling water doesnt actually sterilize it completely, but if this works in peoples experience ill do it. has anyone sterilized with iodine?

There is really no need to actually sterilize the water, just kill off any nasties that might be in it and boiling will do that. I've never know anyone to actually sterilize water. In fact some people will simply use water straight from the tap when it reaches 80-90F, no boiling, no issues.

ok cheers ill give it a go. is it neccessary to stir it for a half hour, and once its made how long will it last, are we talking 30 minutes or 2 hours?

irishrover32 said:
ok cheers ill give it a go. is it neccessary to stir it for a half hour, and once its made how long will it last, are we talking 30 minutes or 2 hours?

Nope, just stir it in to mix and then sit. If you let it sit while you brew you're fine, just keep it covered with a sanitized lid or piece of foil or plastic wrap to keep any critters out:)

Back